Question for engine builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for engine builders

Installing some piston pin clips whats the best location for opening in clip when seated in the groove

As long as they are not in the open area it's good.
    A little trick
    Put the clip at a ninety degree angle in the bore while squeezing and then rotate into the bore.
    No more flying clips.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have always heard that the opening should be at the top or at the bottom, never on the sides.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've never bothered to make note. I put them in, make sure they're good and tight and not moving, then move on. I'm sure they rotate over the years anyways.

Comment

top is where I always put them. I have never seen them moved once installed BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I have always heard that the opening should be at the top or at the bottom, never on the sides.

You are correct.
            My stable
            84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
            85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
            88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
            98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
            90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
            06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
            00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by Jet-Lee View Post
              I've never bothered to make note. I put them in, make sure they're good and tight and not moving, then move on. I'm sure they rotate over the years anyways.
              They do not rotate unless they are bad and not tight enough
              My stable
              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                top is where I always put them. I have never seen them moved once installed BTW.
                Originally posted by stetracer View Post
                They do not rotate unless they are bad and not tight enough
                I also haven't had to open an engine once rebuilt.

Maybe someone could explain the theory behind putting the clips in a specific orientation? Seeing as they're not a component that's under load, it doesn't seem that it should matter.

The piston pin rotates during operation, spinning against the clip. I find it hard to believe that clip does not rotate. Even the piston rings themselves rotate during operation.
                Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I also haven't had to open an engine once rebuilt.

Maybe someone could explain the theory behind putting the clips in a specific orientation? Seeing as they're not a component that's under load, it doesn't seem that it should matter.

The piston pin rotates during operation, spinning against the clip. I find it hard to believe that clip does not rotate. Even the piston rings themselves rotate during operation.
                  When the piston changes direction from up to down if the cir clip is installed with the opening on the side. The bottom part of the clip will continue to keep heading up even after the piston has headed down and the opposite happens when the piston changes from down to up. This will eventually weaken the clip.
                  And ring gap placement is just as important also. They do not rotate either.

Last edited by stetracer; 02-27-2014, 07:28 PM.
                  My stable
                  06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

I don't believe the clips have sufficient mass for those forces to overcome the clips own outward pressure. The piston doesn't suddenly stop and reverse direction, it gradually slows down and speeds up (gradually being a relative term), it doesn't go from 4200fpm to 0 as if it's hits a wall, the piston slows down as con-rod travels around the perimeter of the crank.

Sorry, I don't buy into that methodology.

I didn't say ring gap placement isn't important, just that the rings rotate in the bore. You don't want all the gaps lined up, but they do rotate. If someone wants to debate that, why do 2-strokes have a ring lock to prevent it?
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2014, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I don't believe the clips have sufficient mass for those forces to overcome the clips own outward pressure. The piston doesn't suddenly stop and reverse direction, it gradually slows down and speeds up (gradually being a relative term), it doesn't go from 5800fpm to 0 as if it's hits a wall, the piston slows down as con-rod travels around the perimeter of the crank.

I didn't say ring gap placement isn't important, just that the rings rotate in the bore. You don't want all the gaps lined up, but they do rotate. If someone wants to debate that, why do 2-strokes have a ring lock to prevent it?
                      I marked the ring gap and they do rotate.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I don't believe the clips have sufficient mass for those forces to overcome the clips own outward pressure. The piston doesn't suddenly stop and reverse direction, it gradually slows down and speeds up (gradually being a relative term), it doesn't go from 5800fpm to 0 as if it's hits a wall, the piston slows down as con-rod travels around the perimeter of the crank.

I respectfully disagree :P With the ring lock part.

For the first part though I'd say its a sudden Acceleration and not a sudden stop.
                        I believe that the sudden acceleration of an explosion pushing a piston down can jar the clip just enough to cause one edge to jump out of the lip and pop out.
                        Although it would take quite allot of acceleration to overcome the tension of the circlip, I believe its possible with heat, fatigue and hard acceleration.
                        I think with the clip opening sideways that it would be the easiest way it would fail and with it up or down that it would be the hardest.

And the locating pin on a two stroke would be due to the ports in the sleeve. Notice that the pins are located in a place where the gap placement is in the few places where the liner is continuous for the entire stroke.
                        Take the exhaust port for instance. Some are nearly 1/4 the circumference of the bore! Imagine what would happen to the ring ends if they stuck out a bit

As far as the rings rotating in a 4 stroke that could be due to vibration's, harmonics, or even the crosshatch in the cylinder.
                        And hey valve's rotate too
                        Last edited by Mekanix; 02-27-2014, 10:42 PM.
                        Stephen.
                        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                        GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          I marked the ring gap and they do rotate.
                          That's what I said.

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                          I respectfully disagree :P With the ring lock part.

For the first part though I'd say its a sudden Acceleration and not a sudden stop.
                          I believe that the sudden acceleration of an explosion pushing a piston down can jar the clip just enough to cause one edge to jump out of the lip and pop out.
                          Although it would take quite allot of acceleration to overcome the tension of the circlip, I believe its possible with heat, fatigue and hard acceleration.
                          I think with the clip opening sideways that it would be the easiest way it would fail and with it up or down that it would be the hardest.
                          We agree on one point (it's not a sudden stop) and disagree on the other (whether it's enough to compress the clip). Ok.

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                          And the locating pin on a two stroke would be due to the ports in the sleeve. Notice that the pins are located in a place where the gap placement is in the few places where the liner is continuous for the entire stroke.
                          Take the exhaust port for instance. Some are nearly 1/4 the circumference of the bore! Imagine what would happen to the ring ends if they stuck out a bit

As far as the rings rotating in a 4 stroke that could be due to vibration's, harmonics, or even the crosshatch in the cylinder.
                          And hey valve's rotate too
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtqDHJDN79w
                          Yes, I was saying that piston rings DO rotate. My argument is that piston rings rotate without being acted on by a rotational force. Saying that wrist pin clips don't rotate while the wrist pin itself does, seems foolish to me given that piston rings DO rotate even though neither the piston nor the cylinder rotate.

Comment

I wasn't arguing

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              I wasn't arguing
                              Ah, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X