Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Piston Rings required.

Hi.

I have currently got the engine out of my GS650GT, it needs new piston rings, has anyone used these from ebay:

I only do a couple of thousand miles a year so even if they need replacing in 10000 miles I doubt I will still have her!!

I have tried to find Suzuki ones in the UK but it will cost over £140 (approx $240).

Needs new rings ???? and just rings? what happenned?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

She was using a bit of oil and compression a bit low, thought it was the valve stem seals so I took her to bits, pistons were well carboned up so took them out and gave them a clean, being very gentle I removed the rings and snapped one!!
      Had a chat to an ex-bike mechanic friend and he checked the cylinders and said they were ok, he fitted some of the rings inside the bores and measured them every 1cm down each of the cylinders and the ring end gap was the same all the way down, but was just out of spec, so we decided to give them a hone and will fit new rings (when they arrive). Also lapped the valves and will get new valve guide seals. Springs are all within spec as are the lobes on the cam etc.
      While I was at it I stripped the carbs and fitted a new set of Mr. Barr's O rings, its not kidding when it says to use carb cleaner in a well ventilated area!!
      Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X