Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Exhaust Cam

Hi Guys,

Thought I posted on here before, I'm from Scotland have owned my GS950 for about 25 years and looking to get it on the road again after a break of about 17 years.

Looks like I may have to replace the exhaust cam on my 81 GS850 due to corrosiion on one of the lobs. My shed has a leaking roof and even though I had it wrapped in bubblewrap water got in and caused the corrosion. I'm going to try and polish it out though. Just in case that doesn't work there is a replacement on ebay and my question is there a difference in the cams? Mine has R3 stamped on it while the one on ebay is stamped R4. Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2014, 06:27 AM.

Yes, try polishing it out,as that should be adequate. Someone else will have to chime in regarding R3 and R4.

Did any water get in crankcase?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Yes, try polishing it out,as that should be adequate. Someone else will have to chime in regarding R3 and R4.

Did any water get in crankcase?
      Thank you Tom, but I'm afraid it's too deep to polish out, so I've taken a chance on the one from EBay as it wasn't that expensive.

I had the cams out of the engine and wrapped up, but water got in through my leaky roof. Luckily the inlet cam is ok!

Comment

Working...
      X