Buzzing noise, possible starter clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buzzing noise, possible starter clutch

So, I've probably put 300 miles on my bike thus far, and it's started doing something weird. It makes a buzzing sound, and I think it comes from either the top end of the engine or above it, although I'm not positive. I was thinking it was something that was vibrating in the wind, but I've noticed that it only does it when the bike is revved. It has done it a few times while in neutral, but it normally does it when the engine is under load. I haven't been able to localize the location for this reason. I initially thought that my tachometer cable needed to be lubed, but I'm not sure anymore.

It occurred to me the other day that it could be the starter clutch catching and turning the starter which produced this noise and that I'm incorrect as to my guess of the location of the sound. When I start the bike the clutch seems to work great. Starts right up and never slips.

Does anyone have any better ideas where it could be from? Would a starter clutch fail like this or is this a weird thing for the clutch to do?

I'm going to pull the stator cover off either this weekend of the next if you guys don't have a better idea.

Next time that you take it for a ride, lift your face-shield and lean forward so that you can hear the whining coming from those gauges. Remove them, after you park the bike , turn them over and add your favorite penetrating oil, WD-40, Silicone, etc. into the threaded connections for the cables. Do this several times and allow it to soak in. Also spray some lube down your cables while they are disconnected from the gauges.
    Bolt the gauges back up the next day and see if it hasn't gone away.

Comment

I know that this is an old thread, but I just started working on this problem again and I have a few questions. I know for sure now that it's coming from the tachometer, what I don't know is why. When I had it hooked up, the tachometer would buzz and would go higher and higher. It once completed a full revolution and then got stuck there. I unhooked the cable to the engine and after a few rides it had been shaken down to 0 again.
      I had already added WD-40 to the gauge, and after I did that that's when it started reading really high revs and not coming down in addition to the buzzing.
      I'm thinking of adding something like gear oil to the back of the gauge to try to fix it.
      Does anyone else have any idea how to fix this?

Comment

How much lube did you use? It only takes a few drops of oil in the gears to lube them. I was gonna suggest ride it and grab the gauges at various points to see if the housings or a cover are vibrating.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

At first I added just a bit and it didn't fix it, then I really soaked it the second time. I think it may have been dropped. Is it easy to get inside the gauges to see if anything is broken?

Comment

Working...
          X