Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550T cam chain- change it or not

Hello,

as I have to tear down my engine and prior to this decided to measure the cham chain as I already took off the valve cover. As the bike has very unknown history and the engine now is a typical Frankenstien's creature (bottom with gears etc- prio 1980 version with kick starter, which I like very much, cylinders and head from 1981 Katana) and have no idea about milage (as you can see- talking about milage would be a bit difficult here) was curious about the cam chain stretch. Measured it according to the service manual and it turnmed out, that 20 pitch lenght is about 157mm (a bit below but cannot measure it more accurately). Service limit is 157,8mm- do you think that this should be replaceed? Enyone have measured the new chain for comparison?

Need urgent advice as will have the engine disassembled during the weeked but would like not to touch something that might still be good as the things that are working should not be disturbed too much if replacement is necessary (would be necessary within 10kkm) will replace the chain...
    Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2014, 05:01 AM.

Those chains last well over 100,000K. Spend the money on other parts.

Comment

I wouldn't replace it unless it's out of limits, unless I had the cases split anyway.

If you do have them split, sure why not put in a new one? They can run forever on the original chain.
      They are not like drive chains out in the dirt and rain, misused and abused, they are always lubed, always in a clean environment. They really do run a long time. We rebuilt my 550 at 120,000 miles, the cam chain was fine. Reused it and it ran for many many more miles.

If it has a couple hundred thousand miles on the chain it might be wearing some.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        I wouldn't replace it unless it's out of limits, unless I had the cases split anyway.
        Maybe have asked in a wrong way- I have ca. 1mm to the limit. Do not know how much those chaines stretch- is it far away from the limit or I'm just about to the verge?

Unfortunately will not split the case but when will have all cylinders/pistons removed (this will happen on Sat) would be much easier to instal new chain . If I'm very close to the end of chain's life (less than ca 10kkm) than it would be a waste not to use this ocasion (next year would have to reassembly the engine again with all gaskets, head surface inspection etc. as I'm doing ca 10-12kkm during one season). Otherwise would spend the money on much more necessary things (like gasoline to ride the bike even more

Apart from this measurements- the chain looks quite ok. No wisible evidences of excessive wear.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        If it has a couple hundred thousand miles on the chain it might be wearing some.
        Do not know this and if forced to change would go for the rivet type This is the reason why if this chain is still acceptable (or will be acceptable for min 10kkm) would stay with the oryginal part.... As oryginal parts tend to last longer than the replacements
        Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by autko View Post
          As oryginal parts tend to last longer than the replacements
          The original parts were endless chains, you have to split the cases.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X