Oil pressure light on in gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure light on in gear?

Hello I have a 1980 gs550e. I can start the bike up and run it in neutral all i want and i never have an issue. But when i put the bike in gear with the clutch all the way in the oil pressure light will come on. Now if i put the bike on the center stand and let the clutch out barely with it in gear just enough for the back tire to start turning the oil pressure light will go off. I have already checked the light and the wire to the switch and both are ok. I have put a test light on the switch and i get the same issue with the light on in gear but not when the back tire is moving. Oil is new as is the filter. The light never comes on when riding just in gear at a stop. Is there something in the transmission that would cause this or could it be just a bad switch?

i have had the clutch cable push on the oil sender wire and cause the light to come on.
    not on a 550 but on a larger GS.
    clutch out...no light...clutch in light on.

Comment

Yes that was my thought too. I disconnected the wire at the sender and hooked up a test light to the switch and it does the same thing. I just find it odd that it only comes on at 1 specific time. I am a professional diesel technician and usually if oil pressure is low its low all the time. Bikes are somewhat new to me. Im just wondering if this is something i should be alarmed about or not???? The light never has came on when actually moving and driving around.

Comment

i believe the 550 has a chrome nut behind and above the ignition cover area.
        if so you can take the bolt/fitting and drill and tap to 1/8" npt and install an oil pressure gauge just to make sure.

Comment

My 750 has a Stuck Oil Light too.
          It's literally been On for so long, I would start to worry if it went Out!

Comment

I don't know what the set up is like on the 550 but my 850 had a similar problem which turned out to be the clutch nut was loose enough to allow the basket to disengage from the oil pump drive gear when the bike was leaned to the right at standstill or on the overrun - never came on when drive was applied Between gravity and the reaction of the helical gears when the drive was off it moved enough to lose the oil pump drive. Doesn't appear to have caused a problem, it was 4000 miles ago.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
            X