Warn cam lobes - how much is bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warn cam lobes - how much is bad?

I'm rebuilding the top end of my GS750 and when I pulled the cam cover off the exhaust cam is warn or they had some friction on them. They aren't scored or gouged and you cant really feel anything with a fingernail or finger. Some of the cam journals are a bit warn looking too. i'm mostly questioning this because its only on the exhaust cam.. Is this just normal wear?

Pictures please!

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I dont have any pictures at the moment but I saw this on the 16 valve adjustment from BassCliff's Websiite. Mine look much the same as these.

Untitled by Weeksteeze, on Flickr

Comment

If you don't feel any ridges then it's probably OK. If that's the way it looks then it's just been run with dirty oil for a while. Not really "warn" as much as the brown area have built up.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Suzuki made these engines with split exhaust rockers for some reason
          What I did was used two sets of intake rockers and an 1100 exhaust cam that was run without the split rockers.

Comment

As long as the wear doesn't go through the hard coat on the cam journals you should be ok.

Comment

Cam failure is a myth, just like Avon tires spontaneously exploding, haha!

Comment

Those motors are notorious for oil starvation and eating the exhaust cam first.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                  Suzuki made these engines with split exhaust rockers for some reason
                  What I did was used two sets of intake rockers and an 1100 exhaust cam that was run without the split rockers.
                  It is weird how the gs750 16v and gs1100 16v would seem to be very similar but have so any differences. The rockers are one, crank bearings another.

Comment

One was made cheap. One was not.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                    X