Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped lugs

Hi all,

I have 2 (of 5) stripped lugs at my oil filter cover.

Any ideas? Not leaking now, but I'd certainly like the peace of mind.

Replace the studs. Replace the nuts. Good to go.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Replace the studs. Replace the nuts. Good to go.
      So the studs simply screw into the block?

I guess I wasn't thinking they were removable...

That would be nice.

Comment

Easy peasy.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Excellent.

Comment

If you're real lucky you can put two nuts on the stud you want to remove and get it out that way. Another method would be to weld a bolt on to get the stud out. I guess you could always try cutting a slot in the end of the stud if you can get at it with a dremel, soak the stud with your favorite loosening agent and maybe have some heat available if it's really a bit of a bugger.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I recently replaced my studs, acorn nuts, and washers. The studs were easier than I thought to get out: I got two regular nuts from my local hardware store. Held one with plyers, twisted the other with a wrench and the studs came right out. I blew the hole out with compressed air and the new ones went right in.

Comment

Originally posted by srg View Post
                I recently replaced my studs, acorn nuts, and washers. The studs were easier than I thought to get out: I got two regular nuts from my local hardware store. Held one with plyers, twisted the other with a wrench and the studs came right out. I blew the hole out with compressed air and the new ones went right in.
                Where'd you find the replacement pieces? I'm a contractor, and I get that this stuff can be cobbled together at a Home Depot, but are OEM sets available somewhere?

Comment

They were all OEM parts I ordered from G&S Suzuki, except for the two throw-away nuts I used to get the studs out initially.

I like using the OEM parts because who knows what the local hardware store has. Might be steel, might be zinc, might be aluminum. The threads might be cut, or they might be cast (which greatly changes the thread strength). So I just get everything OEM, including bolts to make sure it's exactly the strength/hardness it should be.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2014, 12:54 AM.

Comment

They were all OEM parts I ordered from G&S Suzuki, except for the two throw-away nuts I used to get the studs out initially.

I like using the OEM parts because who knows what the local hardware store has. Might be steel, might be zinc, might be aluminum. The threads might be cut, or they might be cast (which greatly changes the thread strength). So I just get everything OEM, including bolts to make sure it's exactly the strength/hardness it should be.
                    Thanks Steve. I have a local Suzuki dealer I have yet to buy from - I'll try em out.

I've had 2 550L's. Great bike! Why is yours not running yet?

Comment

I've done a bunch of looking around for OEM parts online, and G&S Suzuki seems to be the cheapest for online parts. It does take FOREVER to get the parts (3 weeks or so). I imagine all the parts suppliers have to order from a Suzuki warehouse in Japan though anyway.

Mine's not running cause as soon as I got it, I took it apart and haven't put it back together yet, haha!

Comment

I've done a bunch of looking around for OEM parts online, and G&S Suzuki seems to be the cheapest for online parts. It does take FOREVER to get the parts (3 weeks or so). I imagine all the parts suppliers have to order from a Suzuki warehouse in Japan though anyway.

Mine's not running cause as soon as I got it, I took it apart and haven't put it back together yet, haha!
                        Thanks for the tip.

Get that bike running.

Comment

if you want to ride.....
                          use the 3 studs and just use 2 bolts...it will be fine...no worries

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                            if you want to ride.....
                            use the 3 studs and just use 2 bolts...it will be fine...no worries
                            Good call, but I'm a 16 valve.... So I've got 5. Basically what you're suggesting - running with 3 tight, and 2 hand-tight before the strip.

Comment

Originally posted by A-train View Post
                              Good call, but I'm a 16 valve.... So I've got 5. Basically what you're suggesting - running with 3 tight, and 2 hand-tight before the strip.
                              wrong guy....
                              3 studs plus 2 bolts equal what?

Comment

Working...
                              X