Engine clutch arm movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine clutch arm movement

I noticed a lot of free play at my clutch lever soon after beginning today's ride. Seemed like more than the recommended 2-3 mm. It became almost impossible to shift into neutral while standing still. I take that to mean the clutch was not fully disengageing.

The strange thing (to me) was that even with all that slack at the lever, the instant I touched the lever I saw movement on the lever down by my right leg.

My Suzuki manual says to try and adjust for the 2-3 mm hand lever play entirely with the adjuster down by the clutch, and then only to use the left handlebar adjuster if that can't be done.

My question is, is the clutch arm on the engine supposed to have some "free play movement" before it begins to disengage the clutch?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Sure would be nice to have a hint as to what bike we are discussing.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry - 1982 GS1100e ("EZ")
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

rob the manual suggestions are not written in stone.
        you have a 30 something year old bike/parts ect..
        run your handlebar adjuster to zero free play.
        start the bike and see where the engagement is...then adjust to how you like it.
        as in adjust to where you like the lever to be as far as the clutch starting to engage.
        it's all up to you and what you like/the size of your hands/length of fingers and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          rob the manual suggestions are not written in stone.
          you have a 30 something year old bike/parts ect..
          run your handlebar adjuster to zero free play.
          start the bike and see where the engagement is...then adjust to how you like it.
          as in adjust to where you like the lever to be as far as the clutch starting to engage.
          it's all up to you and what you like/the size of your hands/length of fingers and so on.
          Good point. I've already adjusted it to what feels right in the garage. If tomorrow's riding weather, and I get the time, I'll know for sure then.

It just seemed strange to me that with that slack at the handlebar, just a tap with my pinky on the handlebar lever would cause the arm on the tranny to move.

Comment

Hard to understand why that free play would show up all of a sudden...

Did your cable routing change somehow? Bound up somewhere? First ride of season?

For mine, I adjust (first at the arm) so that neutral is attainable, but not too easy. This ensures that your clutch pack is likely getting full compression with lever out.

I'd do a visual on that cable. Weird that the play showed up out of nowhere.

Comment

Working...
            X