Oil pressure guage readings ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure guage readings ...

Hi all, i've just fitted an oil pressure guage to my GS1000. I have a VDO 15lb. What readings should i expect ?
    Currently the needle hardly moves at idle, and gets up to about 3 when revved ... is this normal ?

Instructions on how to check the oil pressure is contained in the factory Suzuki service manual. You can download one for free from basscliff's website. 3 psi is about right but again, check the manual for yourself on critical things like oil pressure.

Good news is the oil pump system is extremely robust on the GS engines. Your gauge failing and letting oil out is more likely to occur than the pump itself failing. I advise you to use the gauge to check the system function then remove it.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There are multiple reasons for having low oil pressure including low oil level . You could possibly spring a leak at a gauge but leaking and or burning oil till there is still likely in other places than the oil gauge. Even if it is the gauge leaking the indicator should to you that as well.
      If there is a reason for not running a gauge , it is that the mechanical gauges will not long survive with the engine vibration.

I just posted a how to, but also after reading this you can easily see how these things wear out.

Last edited by posplayr; 04-30-2014, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies ....

(For the record, the manual says 1.42 psi @ 3000 rpm)

Comment

Hi;
          I am very concerned about the oil pressure at idle in my GS1100 '83.
          It has high volume oil pump gears since long time.
          Oil gauge reading is less than one psi at idle after get warm. Pressure was verified with other gauge with the same results. Clutch chest is open right now for verification purposes and everything looks fine.
          This engine was opened following Suzuki service manual to seal oil leaking cases, sealing process was successful.
          I can understand less than one psi pressure with OEM pump gears, but before case sealing work and with high volume gears the hot oil pressure was 2psi at idle as I remember.
          GS1150 oil cooler was detached for better readings.

Please provide your input, maybe I am overlooking or missing something.
          Regards;
          Last edited by Guest; 12-27-2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

These are low pressure ball bearing engines. It's not the pressure but the volume that's critical. Once warmed up, 2psi is not unusual at all during idle. Spec actually says 1.42psi at idle and at 3000 rpms it's only 7.11psi. Given any gauge error you can see that it very possible to see less then 2psi or even 0 at idle along with readings in the 5psi range at running speeds. I wouldn't sweat it. The only issues I've see with the 4 valve/cylinder engines is valve train lubrication. Other then pulling the valve cover and verifying you have lubrication getting up top I don't know of a way to monitor this. The solution to low oil volume to the valve train would be a top end lubrication kit. Others can chime in on this.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I agree with your statement, you are totally right about these engines works at very low pressures as specified with OEM pump gears, but the point is that once the high volume gears were added the operating working pressure increased significantly at the point that you can't rev up the engine when cold because the 0-15 got damaged, to avoid damage I had to install a 0-30 gauge with main divisions of 5 psi and 1psi increments.
              I was verifying the oil pump o-ring and was found in perfect condition, the oil pump was very tightened when inspected.
              When engine is cold started the pressure is 5ps at idle and as the engine warms up the pressure is lower and lower up to near zero, this condition looks like an internal oil leak that as the oil loose its viscosity due to temperature the pressure gets lower. I am trying to figure out where this condition could exists but I have no clue.

Comment

Originally posted by jacora View Post
                When engine is cold started the pressure is 5ps at idle and as the engine warms up the pressure is lower and lower up to near zero, this condition looks like an internal oil leak that as the oil loose its viscosity due to temperature the pressure gets lower. I am trying to figure out where this condition could exists but I have no clue.
                Please remember that it is not oil pressure that lubricates the engine, it is VOLUME. The pressure is there because you are trying to push relatively thick (cold) oil through the small bearing clearances. As the oil warms up and thins out, it will flow through the small passages easier, which means there is less restriction, and that shows as lower pressure.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X