Motor Noise and Dash Lights Flicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Noise and Dash Lights Flicker

I have newly acquired a very clean 1983 GS1100E. Problem #1, When running, it sounds like lower bearings are bad. Has a loud roaring type noise from lower end. Fuel valve was left in prime position, bike was rode about 20 miles, l then noticed noise and oil leak from base of cylinder area. Problem #2, ever since owning this bike (approx. 4 months), when engine gets up to temp, all the dash lights on the upper row flicker until rpm's are above 1400. When bike is first started, lights are normal. Alternator going bad??? Thanks for any help.

Jon

Since the fuel valve was left on prime, you probably have fuel in your oil/crankcase. That might be the source of the oil leak (if it wasn't leaking prior) - fuel will thin out your oil and raise the level. Try sniffing (or sticking a finger in and then sniffing) your oil from the fill window. Smell fuel? Drain and replace.

Second problem...electrical problems can be tricky. If you haven't already, read the Stator papers on the main site. If you search around a bit, there's some electrical diagnostic guides on here that would help you (I'm not sure off the top of my head)

Comment

For the electrical problem, start with something simple- a Quick Test

bonus points for posting #'s step by step
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by srg View Post
        Try sniffing (or sticking a finger in and then sniffing)
        Sound advise always.

Comment

You need to replace your lamp relay for the flickering lights.
          I have some.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X