engine "rattling" at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kardusen View Post

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Camshaft end float.
    Your bike is knackered and I'll pay you €50 scrap value for it.

Nothing to worry about - some do, some don't and those that do stop doing it for ages and those that don't suddenly do it for a while, and some do it almost from new and some never do it.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yes it comes and goes !. Even my gs1000 did it last sunday , I think the bikes are talking in the garage and trying to drive me crazy. Don't worry about it.
      My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

You guys are awesome! I guess she was talking to me indeed and saying "Please replace my cylinder head seal and my cylinder head air seal" what I did today and after putting her a bit to the right and to the left (no noise at both sides) theres no noise at main stand aswell... Yay!

So did I got that right that I dont have to worry about it anymore? Or at least not till winter when I'd like to pull everything apart, clean it and replace broken / soon be broken parts and prep her for a long and lasting life

Just one thing I didn't quite got in the other thread - what are these "buckets"? Is that the thing where the shim is put upon? Or plainly spoken: the Shim-Holder Didn't quite got that - as I said I'm more or less an mechanic/motor-virgin..

Thank you very much guys!
        Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2014, 02:33 PM. Reason: typos @ mobilephone

Comment

Yes, the bucket holds the shim
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Just for clearification:

Buckets are No. 7?

Then I'll add this to the "fix that in cold months" list together with new shims and a few other points

Comment

Originally posted by kardusen View Post
              Just for clearification:

Buckets are No. 7?

Then I'll add this to the "fix that in cold months" list together with new shims and a few other points
              Correct no 7 is a bucket.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi All:

So I have an '83 GS 1100ES that I am just getting up and running. My engine is doing the exact same thing and making the exact same noise. Only happens at low RPM idle. I was about to start having a panic attack. But then figured I'd check here and see what I could find. Thankfully it seems the problem (though not terribly common) is not unheard of and appears to not be a real problem. I'm utterly relieved.

On top of this, I also have an '86 Yamaha FZ600 that does the exact same thing. I was thinking I might have to tear that engine apart. But I'm guessing the FZ engine has a similar issue to the GS engine because the FZ still goes like hell as soon as I am above idle.

So, all in all, no worries I guess. I'll just tell folks that my engines are "cracking it's knuckles" gitt'n ready to go...

Comment

[QUOTE=63ronin;2102350]Hi All:

Cam walk seems to only be an 8V problem. sure it is not clutch or starter clutch?

Comment

[QUOTE=posplayr;2102367]
                    Originally posted by 63ronin View Post
                    Hi All:

Cam walk seems to only be an 8V problem. sure it is not clutch or starter clutch?
                    Not really sure of anything. But the bike sounds OK as soon as it's above idle speed. In a not terribly related matter I did get the opportunity today to find out just how heavy an '83 GS 1100 is when I dropped then damn bike as I re-orged the garage to make more room. In a master stroke of luck I seem to have only broken the front brake lever and right mirror. So it looks like it'll be a few more days before I get to try any more experiments. I hate days like this...

Comment

"some do, some don't and those that do stop doing it for ages and those that don't suddenly do it for a while, and some do it almost from new and some never do it."

This is almost T-shirt material.

"Some do, some don't; Those that do sometimes stop for a while, and those that don't suddenly do once in a while, and all the while some always do and some never did."

Yeah, I'd wear that.

Comment

One of my GS1000G, the one with the 1100G motor, gives like 5 little ticks in quick succession every 5 or six seconds at idle. Its done it as long as I have owned it. Don't know what it is. I never thought anything was going slowly enough to have such a long interval between sounds, even the chain making laps through the motor.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

might be silly to say but i'll say it anyhow
                          how about loose springs in the clutch basket along with carbs that need to be synced

Comment

Hellou

School Holidays are approaching and I'm playing with the thought of doing a short trip arround France / Northern Spain and thinking about what to do to get the bike ready for it and I didn't want to open a new thread for my newbie questions :

machine oil, tires and lights are fine
                            Battery almost new
                            recitifer/regulator replaced last year

Valve play is all within the range (except for one that is slightly too thin but I'll do a big general check of motor/carbs/clutch etc. in winter anyway so they'll rechecked&replaced then)
                            Cam Chain is fine too
                            Cam Chain tensioner goes a bit hard to turn but worked fine when I checked the valves in February

Airfilter needs to be cleaned I guess (last time 2 years ago)
                            Front brake oil needs to be filled up (any tipps here?)

But besides.. honestly I got no idea! What do you guys to in addition to prepare for a longer trip? Not that I think the machine will break down but I don't want to get stranded at the Normandy Cost in the middle of nowhere either

PS: Anybody got experience with electrical supply for navigation? I just thought about installing a fix cable directly on the battery with fuse and the garmin mount

Comment

speaking of loose Springs, I have a GS 650 that might have had a similar engine and rattling sound at low rpms. I personally think it's a combination of various items at least in my motorcycle, the first being one of the mechanical timing advance springs broke, secondly the cam chain tensioner was a big gummy and I suspect got loose causing one of the valves to punch a hole through cylinder number 3, thirdly, a the hole in the cylinder left all sorts of metal floating around in the engine compartment which I'm sure was making wonderful noise when the bike was running previously, fourth, I think it's possible they are small pieces of the piston banging around in the exhaust, and last but not least, I suspect the bike still has all its original valves and I think some of them have been stretched just long enough that when the cam lobe is at full extension they might just barely be kissing the top of some of the pistons,though I should be able to determine this for certain upon more careful inspection.

I'm replacing the piston on cylinder number 3, dropping the crankcase and removing the filter so I can get all the pieces out, I was able to reuse part of the broken spring for the timing advance as a temporary fix, I'll shake all the pieces of metal out of the exhaust loose, I cleaned up the cam chain tensioner and put a little bit more spring into the spring, then I'll button her and pray she doesn't sound like I left a bag of nails inside.

Comment

Working...
                              X