No announcement yet.

Need help willing to pay anyone in washington pa to help me on my 1982 gs850l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help willing to pay anyone in washington pa to help me on my 1982 gs850l

Hi my name is mitchell i have a 1982 gs850l i have no compression in cylendar 1 if i could get some help or advise i would apriciate it i have a ton of new parts and money in it i have new valve shims in it clutches and much more just need help on getting compression in cylendar 1 thanks

Bump for Mitchell.
    I'm not familiar with members in your area.

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Thanks man im 17 and i am not very good at this stuff. I am trying to learn i have watched endless vidoes and called a ton of shops, but still nothing. I would like to pay someone to help me do it, not do it for me. I have to learn how to fix this. Thanks for the help and if u think of anyone please send them my phone number. 724-579-2545 thank

Comment

The work that's been done so far, did you do it, or a shop, or previous owner?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have been paying a shop in washington pa to do it, but it seems like they break 2 things to fix 1.

Comment

There are a few shops in the Pittsburgh area that work on vintage bikes like yours. But I don't think any of them are interested in helping you learn -- they are too busy to do that.

Comment

Owning a old bike like this you almost have to be able to work on it. I have learned that the hard way, that being said i would not like to pay someone to do the work i would like to do the work my self or at least help fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zavallo62 View Post
                Thanks man im 17 and i am not very good at this stuff. I am trying to learn i have watched endless vidoes and called a ton of shops, but still nothing. I would like to pay someone to help me do it, not do it for me. I have to learn how to fix this. Thanks for the help and if u think of anyone please send them my phone number. 724-579-2545 thank
                How can he pay me? I work for beer... Maybe his mom can go on a beer run!
                I can ride over and at least see what's up. Have tools, Will travel...
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

invest in metric helicoils....
                  -Mark
                  Boston, MA
                  Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                  sigpic
                  1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

I'd be willing to help, but it's a bit far for me :-\ Sorry man. Good luck! We're here to help you.

I suggested you use the forums here and help solve/fix the problems yourself. You'll need some tools (you'll find out what you need as you go), a OEM parts supplier (Like PartsOutlaw.com), and some guides.

You mentioned no compression. I assume you have a compression test gauge and you checked it yourself (with the throttle wide open?). No compression could mean a few things. Think about how the engine works and how things flow. The intake and exhaust valves leaking air would prevent pressure from building up. Also, if air leaks past the piston itself, it would prevent the pressure from building up.

Worst case: Piston rings destroyed, valve stems bent, stuff like that. That involves taking a lot of the engine apart.
                    Best case: Valves clearances out of spec. There's a guide on adjusting valves on BassCliff's website[1], as well as my own website[2].

[1] http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                    [2] http://guglielmo.us/mc/valve_clearances.html

Comment

+1. Do you know if it had compression before you put the new shims in?
                      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                      1983 GS 1100 G
                      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                        How can he pay me? I work for beer... Maybe his mom can go on a beer run!
                        I can ride over and at least see what's up. Have tools, Will travel...
                        Haha, i can pay in what ever. I just need the bike running. I would appriciate any help i can get.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                          +1. Do you know if it had compression before you put the new shims in?
                          I had compression before the shims according to the shop but he shimmed it and he says dont start it till i fix it. He said to bring it in he will fix it then i can ride it, that sounds really scammy tho, so i just paid the 400 to get it shimmed and took it home

Comment

Originally posted by srg View Post
                            I'd be willing to help, but it's a bit far for me :-\ Sorry man. Good luck! We're here to help you.

I suggested you use the forums here and help solve/fix the problems yourself. You'll need some tools (you'll find out what you need as you go), a OEM parts supplier (Like PartsOutlaw.com), and some guides.

You mentioned no compression. I assume you have a compression test gauge and you checked it yourself (with the throttle wide open?). No compression could mean a few things. Think about how the engine works and how things flow. The intake and exhaust valves leaking air would prevent pressure from building up. Also, if air leaks past the piston itself, it would prevent the pressure from building up.

Worst case: Piston rings destroyed, valve stems bent, stuff like that. That involves taking a lot of the engine apart.
                            Best case: Valves clearances out of spec. There's a guide on adjusting valves on BassCliff's website[1], as well as my own website[2].

[1] http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                            [2] http://guglielmo.us/mc/valve_clearances.html

I do not have a compression test altho i have been looking into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zavallo62 View Post
                              I had compression before the shims according to the shop but he shimmed it and he says dont start it till i fix it. He said to bring it in he will fix it then i can ride it, that sounds really scammy tho, so i just paid the 400 to get it shimmed and took it home
                              400$ for a valve adjustment? OUCH. If it had compression before and now it doesn't that should tell you something right there. I would not take that guys word for anything at this point because it sounds like he is full of it. I am pretty sure autozone or o Reillys rents compression testers. Just get one and see what the deal is. If the compression is low you need to pull the valve cover and check the valve adjustments. If you really are willing to learn there is a ton of information on the internet and this site. Just get in there and do it! There is a lot of satisfaction to be had by fixing your own stuff anyway. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X