Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100e engine noise part II

Hi again
    Last time around I followed the advice of a few members here and found a loose clutch nut. I took it apart and cleaned it up, flattened the lock washer and reassembled the whole thing. I also ordered a nut from APE. I went for a little ride and noticed the rattling/whirring noise was there but not nearly as bad. That made me think I was on the right track but not finished. Today I took it back apart but this time completely. This is what I found:

I also checked the springs on the ring gear and found:

The spring at the 10 o'clock position is actually broken in two. The other 2 large springs are loose.

I took apart the clutch on my spare engine and found the center piece (hub?) was worn but not quite as much and the ring gear assy looks rebuilt

Long story short....I assembled the spare clutch on the bike and just 5 minutes ago the UPS driver dropped off the HD clutch nut from APE.

One nagging question, how do you know when the basket seats on the oil pump drive gear? I lined them up and was very careful but it's hard to be certain. The basket seemed to fit in very solidly but I want to make sure.
    Thanks again
    Rich

if the basket is not engaged when you tighten the hub nut...the hub will not spin freely.
    and if you finish installing and try to put it in gear you will be direct drive...as in your clutch will not release.
    get it?

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      if the basket is not engaged when you tighten the hub nut...the hub will not spin freely.
      and if you finish installing and try to put it in gear you will be direct drive...as in your clutch will not release.
      get it?
      Yes sir, thanks

Comment

[QUOTE=rwnielsen;2060876]/QUOTE]

That welded clutch was very nicely done.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

[QUOTE=hikermikem;2061029]
          Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
          /QUOTE]

That welded clutch was very nicely done.
          that basket is only a little better than a stock basket.
          the picture posted is how it was done before HD backing plate kits was available.
          the same or less work is involved installing an HD kit.
          will the basket pictured fail?
          under severe use....YES.
          just passing the information on to members who might think this is a good idea over an hd kit.

Comment

I was admiring the welds, don't know squat about backing plates...

A good welder is worth his weight in gold in my book
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
              I was admiring the welds, don't know squat about backing plates...

A good welder is worth his weight in gold in my book
              agreed......

Comment

I'm just glad I had it in the extra engine. Schnitz Racing has the center hub with a steel spline section. I'm going to get one to try out. Both of the ones I have are worn. The clutch nut in the spare engine was loose too. I bolted it all up a fired the engine. It still has a case of the rattles. I ordered a flywheel puller from Motion Pro so I can check the starter clutch. I have the APE cam chain tensioner to put in as well. Some years back I bought a set of discs and calipers off of a Katana. I might try to fit those too. The brakes on this heavy bike are marginal at best.

Comment

I'm just glad I had it in the extra engine. Schnitz Racing has the center hub with a steel spline section. I'm going to get one to try out. Both of the ones I have are worn. The clutch nut in the spare engine was loose too. I bolted it all up a fired the engine. It still has a case of the rattles. I ordered a flywheel puller from Motion Pro so I can check the starter clutch. I have the APE cam chain tensioner to put in as well. Some years back I bought a set of discs and calipers off of a Katana. I might try to fit those too. The brakes on this heavy bike are marginal at best.
                  i have quite a few hubs...
                  the 1150 hubs have steel splines that will not twist over time.
                  let me know if you haven't placed an order yet with dave.
                  terry

Comment

Thanks Terry
                    I did order one but I'd like to put my spare engine back together

Comment

Thanks Terry
                      I did order one but I'd like to put my spare engine back together
                      i'm checking what i have later today and i'll know for sure of how many and the conditions.
                      on my turbo bikes if i didn't use an 1150 hub it would twist the spline area and was near impossible to remove..yep a home made puller and a lot of bad words is what it took to remove one that had twisted..lol

Comment

i have several of each(1100/1150) all in good to very good condition.
                        sold one(1150 hub) tonight.
                        let me know if i can help in the future.

Comment

Hi blowerbike, I have a 1982 GS 1100 GK and the clutch hub is worn pretty bad. I can see where it has rubbed against the inner case. Is the bearing which is in there causing this? Also, do you have one for sale.
                          Thanks
                          Jeff

Comment

Working...
                          X