Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
    I'll give it shot. It's been on there a long time
    When mine finally popped, I thought I had definitely broken something. Also you know how to demagnetized a piece of metal? You hit it with a large hammer.

Comment

I'm assuming this is the backside of one of the starter clutch bolts. If so, they're all loose

Comment

I've got about 100 lb/ft on it now. If I leave the impact socket on the bolt it doesn't deform and gives me a larger target.

Comment

Well, I lost this battle tonight. I'll let it sit under pressure and try again tomorrow. I don't think my impact/compressor is up to the task.

Comment

Well, I lost this battle tonight. I'll let it sit under pressure and try again tomorrow. I don't think my impact/compressor is up to the task.
            Rest up then 30 sec MAAP gas right on the hub, a couple of wacks with a hammer (while under tension) and the the maximum effort with breakers

Do you have a large neighbor? Figure 300 lbs dead lift

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Rest up then 30 sec MAAP gas right on the hub, a couple of wacks with a hammer (while under tension) and the the maximum effort with breakers

Do you have a large neighbor? Figure 300 lbs dead lift
              That's a bunch. Will the threads on the puller handle that?

come to think of it.....I'm not sure my breaker bars can

Comment

I have searched and read several posts on this very problem. It would seem the advice is sound and I quit too soon.
                Mapp gas 30 seconds, torque, whack w/ BFH. Repeat 2 & 3.....

Comment

That's a bunch. Will the threads on the puller handle that?

come to think of it.....I'm not sure my breaker bars can
                  No they will not. That is why you have to rebuild you might save yourself some trouble and just rebuild the puller before you ruin the rotor getting it hot just to strip the puller. the puller. You did not see the picture?

Comment

I have searched and read several posts on this very problem. It would seem the advice is sound and I quit too soon.
                    Mapp gas 30 seconds, torque, whack w/ BFH. Repeat 2 & 3.....
                    Oh you thought you were the first one?

Comment

on a factory puller the left handed threads die a slow death then...drill and tap to a larger right handed thread.
                      mine is still kicking...
                      and yes your starter clutch bolts are loose.
                      that is your noise so at least know it is worth the effort your going through.

Comment

Little heat, torque and whack whack.....torque, whack whack.
                        After about 4 times I checked and it was loose. One of the rollers fell out when I pulled it off. There's a all piece of thread inside the puller and the push bolt, as well as my impact socket is toast.
                        All in all I couldn't be happier.
                        You guys saved my bacon again
                        I'm not sure what to do at this point and tomorrow is a new day
                        Thanks for all your help and patience
                        Rich

Comment

your username should be "Thor" with a hammer that size

Comment

All the parts look good.....springs, plungers, rollers. The 3 cap screws are all worn around the threads where they were loose. I'll try the local shop and see if they have them. I ordered some on-line but that may be weeks away.

Comment

Good job, the last couple of guys with issues destroyed theirs. History has shown these things are not nearly as hard to get off he second time.

There are tolerances of no more than about 0.050" wear and the clutch will not grab any more. The replacement rollers are only 1/2 the wear items ; need a complete clutch to solve. I don't have the exact measurements. But the rollers are an even number in mm (eg 3mm) so if they are shy that is an indication of wear.
                              Last edited by posplayr; 06-05-2014, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I have a good micrometer. I'll check them out and look up the spec. I'm a fanatic about oil changes but the bike was 15 years old when I bought it. .050" is a lot of wear.

Comment

Working...
                                X