Re-breakin proceadure for a bike that hasn't run for a long time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-breakin proceadure for a bike that hasn't run for a long time

I've got all the general maintenance done (valves adjusted, carbs rebuilt and fluids/filters changed).

I'm wondering what the consensus is on the proper way to run a bike that hasn't been run in a long time 5+ years after all the maintenance has been completed. I'm leaning toward a relatively aggressive break-in with a fresh oil/filter change after a couple hundred miles.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Ride it like you stole it, lots of RPM fluctuations to seat those rings on the first ride or as soon as you can if you've already ridden it. Change the oil within a few hundred then the secondary and final drive by a 1000 or so. Sounds like you've got it sorted.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

What AZR said, don't baby it.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Asked this question to a lifelong mechanic and he said no breakin is required.

Comment

Does this also apply if it hasnt ran in 10+ years?

Comment

Fresh oil and off you go.

Comment

Break in procedures only apply to new rings on a fresh rebuild. As long as the cylinders aren't rusty and the pistons weren't frozen you will be fine as the rings have already been seated. As long as the pistons weren't frozen or something you will be fine.

Comment

The reason I was asking is because the cylinders got a good wash down with gas since several of the carbs floats were leaking badly when I first received the bike. Enough gas was in the cylinders to flood the engine case. I've replaced the oil and filter since. I've also rebuilt the carbs and replaced the petcock along with a vacuum sync as well. This is along with all the standard maintenance. All seems to be in good working order now. The engine does seem to have a little more vibration then my 850 does but I'll go back and redo the carb sync again after I put a few more miles on her and see if that helps. She pulls strong enough and today I've had her up to redline in 1st, 2nd and just north of 8000 in 3rd with no fuel or ignition issues noted. Just that little extra vibration.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Even if the rings were stuck, once they unstick it will be fine, no break in required.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Then I'll just run the p!$$ out of her.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

That's what they like.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                      X