Budget oil temp gauge GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget oil temp gauge GS850

I am minded to put a remote oil temp gauge on the lump, and spy that oil gallery opening at the rightside end of the crankcase, where some insert a pressure gauge.
    Despite having a good look around here and in general, I can't find any reference to mounting one there, but google has become really crap these days. Anyone here poked a sender in there?
    I know about the lower drilling to the crank end, I have a 1/8th NPT sensor+adapter and from what I can see there wouldn't be a problem with obstruction of the flow - however, if anyone here has tried it and found a downside, let me know.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Take a galley plug and drill and tap it 1/8" NTP. Install your sensor and done. I did that with a pressure gauge and it worked perfectly (until the gauge broke that is).
    Last edited by Nessism; 06-05-2014, 02:46 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Why, have 850s suddenly developed oil temperature problems after 35 years of running nice and cool?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Take an galley plug and drill and tap it 1/8" NTP. Install your sensor and done. I did that with a pressure gauge and it worked perfectly (until the gauge broke that is).
        The mighty Smiths Mini oil temp gauge shall live again! Actually, it's a doggy old 1970-ish water temp gauge that was rattling around the bottom of a spares box but the useful thing is, it's got no temp marking on it, so I can finagle the sensor as necessary to get it middle-ranged to suit this app.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Why, have 850s suddenly developed oil temperature problems after 35 years of running nice and cool?
        Well, after overheating a set of rings, I've been leary of too much heat. Admittedly, the scenario is unlikely to repeat itself, but it's nice to know what's cooking; literally.
        ---- Dave
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Finally got around to fitting a cheap 'n cheerful Chinese Oil Temp gauge to the GS850.
          First shakedown run was today, where general backroad running around (ambient temp 9C) didn't see the gauge move above 80C.
          On my way back from town I was giving it a bit more stick and noticed the temp rise to 90C.
          Parking up at home, the gauge rose to 104, as less cooling air was being moved through the fins / casing, plus heat soak from the run.
          Within another couple of minutes, it had risen to 115C - nothing worth bothering about, but I'll be interested to see what it does when worked hard on the hottest day of the summer.

---- Dave

Comment

can you show me how to fix the sensor? you have pictures? describe more detail thanks

excuse my english, google translator!
            Ciao dall'Italia!

GS1000G 1980

Comment

Yes, we could use a little more detail on the actual installation.
              1982 GS750EZ
              1978 GS750EC

Comment

Bring your bike to Southern New Mexico in mid June, we'll give it a real heat of the day test.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Simple enough.
                  One of these; an M14x1.25 to 1/8th NPT adaptor

Screwed into the end of the oil gallery on the right hand side at the top of the crankcase, adjacent to the base of the barrels.
                  The end of the sensor is about flush with the end of the adaptor (which is the same length as the original blanking plug), so there's no obstruction of flow.

You can see here, where somebody's temporarily stuck an oil pressure gauge into the location.
                  Last edited by Grimly; 04-20-2016, 03:51 PM.
                  ---- Dave

Comment

or try this (photo) and replace the sensor with that instrument

s-l225.jpg

There is for example in gs1100g with closed hole
                    Ciao dall'Italia!

GS1000G 1980

Comment

Originally posted by waltergs1000 View Post
                      or try this (photo) and replace the sensor with that instrument

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45233[/ATTACH]

There is for example in gs1100g with closed hole
                      That's handy looking - but harder to get and more expensive, I would think. The 14mm -> NPT adapter is commonly available for car drain plug fitment.
                      ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X