Whining chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whining chain

Hi all just fitted new chain and sprockets to my Gs thou real noticable whine now,was real quite before with worn out chain,all is lined up correct,tension correct and lubed,change back to original front rubber mounted sprocket and nosie got a bit less,any suggestions gladly received!

The rubber mounted sprocket is just a damper, sounds like something is not aligned right? Or you got the chain too tight. Go over your installation and make sure all is aligned and such. By the way, what size sprockets and chain are you using? Or like Grand Rouge said, maybe the primary gear whine you never heard before? I know a wore out chain well make all kinds of weird noises.
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 06-08-2014, 06:29 PM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks for replys Guys have checked over installation,chain slack is 20mm have checked sprockets line up with steel straight edge,chain is well lubed,only get whine when under load goes away when clutch pulled in,was talking to a friend who has fitted the same make(DID) to his Gt 750 and is getting the same whining noise as me...???

Comment

Originally posted by PAULJAC47 View Post
        Thanks for replys Guys have checked over installation,chain slack is 20mm have checked sprockets line up with steel straight edge,chain is well lubed,only get whine when under load goes away when clutch pulled in,was talking to a friend who has fitted the same make(DID) to his Gt 750 and is getting the same whining noise as me...???
        Is that 20mm with all up riding weight on board? The slack should be adjusted with the bike standing on its wheels with rider.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Yes with rider aboard wheels on ground...

Comment

Originally posted by PAULJAC47 View Post
            Yes with rider aboard wheels on ground...
            It's still too tight. I run 50-75mm of slack in the lower chain run. Always have for many many years. If I tightened mine to 50 mm, it would be noisy and whining too.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Fitted Gen new Suzuki front sprocket,noise now gone Thanks to all who tried to help..Cheers Paul J

Comment

Working...
              X