Clutch basket install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch basket install

I'm having a hard time getting my clutch basket in on my '80 GS1100. I can get the basket aligned with the dogs on the oil pump gear, but I cant insert the spacer and bearing (numbers 4 and 3 in the picture) without force. Now I haven't tried forcefully doing it, but I'm wondering if there's a trick to getting this in without damaging something. I thought that maybe the bearing could be damaged, but I'm able to insert the spacer and bearing in the basket when it is off of the bike with ease.

Try Putting the bearing and spacer in the hub, then slide the whole assembly unto the shaft and align with oil pump gear.

Comment

There is going to be little or no clearance for that bearing. Anytime I've done it it's more about patience than force. Eventually you get it started straight and in it goes.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

leave it out till you get you head and cams back in.
        just put the cover on it to keep stuff from getting in.

Comment

Jackson, use a Sharpie or some kind of marker to put a mark on one of the gear teeth. Count the teeth on the gear. If it is 87 you are good. If it is 89 I screwed up & sent you an 1150 hub. I thought I had that one marked 1100 but I didn't count it when I boxed it. If it IS an 89 tooth gear let me know right away & I will get the 87 tooth hub out to you. I'm almost certain that I sent you the correct hub though. Carter Turk bought what I thought was the last 1150 hub I had in stock.
          Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            Jackson, use a Sharpie or some kind of marker to put a mark on one of the gear teeth. Count the teeth on the gear. If it is 87 you are good. If it is 89 I screwed up & sent you an 1150 hub. I thought I had that one marked 1100 but I didn't count it when I boxed it. If it IS an 89 tooth gear let me know right away & I will get the 87 tooth hub out to you. I'm almost certain that I sent you the correct hub though. Carter Turk bought what I thought was the last 1150 hub I had in stock.
            Ray.
            Hey ray, yep I just counted and sure enough it's 89 teeth.

Comment

Sorry Jackson, my bad. Put that hub back in the box, packed EXACTLY like you got it so I know it will return undamaged please. I will get this one ready to ship. I apologize. It will cost you 15 or 16 bucks to send it back Priority Mail, the same way I sent it to you. Re-send me your full info so I can get this one out to you. I will trust you to be honest & send me that one back so don't screw me, ok? I will put your return shipping in the box with this one. Thanks, Ray.

Comment

Working...
              X