1983 gs550l things to look at before buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs550l things to look at before buying

There's the link to the bike I am looking to buy.
    I was looking for help making a list of everything I should check on the bike before I buy it.
    The list I made includes:
    - check the battery for volts before stator and R/R test,
    - pull plug look at ware pattern,
    -spray carb boots with carb cleaner at idle to see if it races the engine (check carb boots),
    - look for arcing off the spark plug wires,
    -check tightens of chain,
    -check sprockets wear pattern,
    - do compression test on both cylinders
    - also all the things like lights, turn signals, horn, tires, brake pads and rotors
    -look for oil leaks

Any addition to the list will be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

If the seller is the patient type, you can check all those things, but make sure you test ride it (transmission work is no fun)- if seller is reluctant to let you pilot it, become a passenger! Be dubious of seller's excuses/explanations of anything that seems odd.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Its also worth thinking about weather you will ending being happy with an "L" model or not.

Comment

If you go through with all of that for a $900 bike, you're likely to put the seller off, which will reduce your ability to negotiate. You can look over the bike all you want, check to make sure things work, visually inspect everything that you care to. But most sellers are going to scoff and possibly even send you away when you break out a multimeter and compression tester. And most are not going to allow a test ride without cash in hand.

Make sure it runs, listen for funny noises, put it on the center stand and run it through the gears, get an impression of the overall condition, and look for red flags. But also understand that there is no such thing as a 31 year-old used motorcycle without a few issues. You're going to do all of the routine maintenance on it anyway as soon as you buy it, right?

BTW, do not spray carb cleaner on carb boots. Carb cleaner is not compatible with rubber. If the boots leak, then you've also injected it into the carbs where it could attack o-rings too.
        Last edited by eil; 06-16-2014, 11:48 AM.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

"L" aspersions ! Once you get real handlebars, you'll be fine! Of course, best if you are under 70 inches tall!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

First thing I'd look at is a 550E.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There is nothing peculiar to the 550 L except that there are two types of handlebars. One production run uses regular risers with tube stell bars which should be replaceable while the other used lovely castings which cannot.

The engine in this bike is tough as evidenced by my merciless flogging of one for 67000 plus kms. Just make sure the gear shifting is not notchy.

Make sure it runs as well as a failure point is the regulator rectifier which went on me three times before I got a Compufire.

this bike has 64HP so you will be pleasantly surprised by its fast acceleration and top speed of somewhere near 115 mph.

THe poorly matched paint on the side panels is a real bit of ugly. THe mileage would have to be very low to be worth 900
              no more than 20 000 kms I should think. The rear shock linkage has a tendency to pack fine dust into its seals causing god awful squeaking that can only be alleviated by a partial teardown and cleaning of the crap. Its not hard to do but you need tools and a bit of mechanical knowledge. Just make sure he drives it with you as a passenger briskly shifting through all six gears up and down.

Examples of these in Quebec gor for 500 to 1200 dollars.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post

The engine in this bike is tough as evidenced by my merciless flogging of one for 67000 plus kms. Just make sure the gear shifting is not notchy.
                Merciless flogging???
                Aren't you the guy who said he never goes above 7,000 RPM?
                I could have sworn that was you.

Agreed though, the engines can be flogged just fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Merciless flogging???
                  Aren't you the guy who said he never goes above 7,000 RPM?
                  I could have sworn that was you.

Agreed though, the engines can be flogged just fine.
                  I no longer drive my bike harshly and I never redline it except in top gear which in not redline but a paltry 9500 rpm at about 185 - 190 kmph redline is 10 500
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X