82-1100e bolt found in sprocket case.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82-1100e bolt found in sprocket case.

I am fixing a few things on my friends 82 1100e. There was oil and or grease dripping down in the kickstand area (not from stator cover area)

I removed the sprocket cover and discovered it was quite oily and greasy. I also found a couple extra items.

1. One was a partial dried out gasket or ring. If it would have been complete it would have been about 3" in diameter

2. A 3/4" long Phillips head bolt, although it had no threads and has a nub on the end.

3. I did notice that two of the three Phillips head screws on the sprocket are missing.

He didn't drop off his repair manual with the bike so I am in the dark about what happened and what to repair.
    Last edited by Gregory; 06-17-2014, 12:07 PM.
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

A Decent Answer from one who has had same observation

Assuming the 1100 has the original front sprocket (15 Teeth...630 chain) the screws are from the metal / rubber cushion that is outboard and inboard on the sprocket. The rubber does deteriorate, metal plates loosen up, screws come out etc. And too, sprocket usually ends up loose on the output shaft.

If the cushion assembly is removed, sprocket is too narrow by about 6MM to be properly tightened. It will line up just fine but would require a spacer on the outside.

Though not in your question, a great fix as I am thinking you already know is to spend about $200.00 for quality Sunstar Sprockets, proper spacer and a 530 X ring or similar chain. Did that on both of my 1100E's.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Thank you GR. I am sure he will want to fix it as cheaply as possible. I guess I will take off the sprocket and see what is there.

BTW it is a 15 tooth sprocket. I took it off and it is in pretty bad shape but I think the plates that have the three bolts/screws can be reused. So does the rubber gasket just get mounted between the engine and the sprocket assembly?

Will that fix the oil seepage?
      Last edited by Gregory; 06-16-2014, 08:19 PM.
      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
      80 gs1000s

Comment

It is, and GR is right about the conversion. Go to "Z1enterprises.com" to do it easily.

Comment

Here is a picture of the parts I have left:

And here is a picture of the engine area..

So if he just wants to just scab everything back together... what parts are a must have? And will that fix the oil seepage?

If he wants to do the conversion, does Z1 sell everything I will need?
          Last edited by Gregory; 06-16-2014, 09:46 PM.
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

Say you have deleted or moved the pics Greg. They arent showing up at my end anyway.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Say you have deleted or moved the pics Greg. They arent showing up at my end anyway.

ok will fix... 1st time using photobucket
              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
              80 gs1000s

Comment

BUMP: Need More info Please

BUMP:

So if he just wants to just scab everything back together... what parts are a must have? And will that fix the oil seepage?

When I went to the parts fisch it confuses me because I don't know if I am missing a c-clip, O-ring, washer or what.... I DO know I need three new bolts for the sprocket housing although they aren't listed in the parts fisch.

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                Here is a picture of the parts I have left:

And here is a picture of the engine area..

82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Rouge View Post
                  Assuming the 1100 has the original front sprocket (15 Teeth...630 chain) the screws are from the metal / rubber cushion that is outboard and inboard on the sprocket. The rubber does deteriorate, metal plates loosen up, screws come out etc. And too, sprocket usually ends up loose on the output shaft.

If the cushion assembly is removed, sprocket is too narrow by about 6MM to be properly tightened. It will line up just fine but would require a spacer on the outside.

Though not in your question, a great fix as I am thinking you already know is to spend about $200.00 for quality Sunstar Sprockets, proper spacer and a 530 X ring or similar chain. Did that on both of my 1100E's.

Ok now that I have been looking on the Z1 website and on ebay I do think I understand that the rubber part I found was between the sprocket and the plates that bolt to the sprocket.

When buying a new aftermarket sprocket, none of the three bolt sandwich plates will come with the sprocket, therefore will also need a spacer.

Now I assume, regarding the oil seepage, that is another issue entirely. Hopefully the loose sprocket didn't cause the oil ring inside to be damaged.

I see there is now another thread on oil seepage so I will follow that one.
                  Last edited by Gregory; 06-17-2014, 12:20 PM.
                  82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                  80 gs1000s

Comment

Gregory, PM Sent re sprocket.

When you get the oil / debris washed off, where is the 'suspected' source of the leak?

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Rouge View Post
                      When you get the oil / debris washed off, where is the 'suspected' source of the leak?
                      Thanks for asking GR. It noticed that overnight it is not leaking yet.

I just picked up the key from him and am now going to run it a while to see if/where the leak develops.
                      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                      80 gs1000s

Comment

The rubber is just a damper, didn't use it on my 530 conversion. Can't tell any difference. 6mm spacer on the outside of the sprocket.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks to much help from Grand Rouge outside of the forum I did get everything back together with the 530 conversion. If I had it to do over again I think I would buy the master link that is NOT the riveted kind.

Here are a few pics of the new chain and sprockets. This is the Master Link that I "hope" has the pins flanges enough.

Here is the new front sprocket, and you can see that the gear indicator sensor that was leaking has stopped. I took it off and turned the o-ring around and tightened it down hard. After a few days there isn't a drop although if you touch your finger to the bolt it does have a smidge of oil seeping... not gonna worry about that right now though:

And rear sprocket:

After I got it all back together I took it for a ride and found a couple other things that need to be sorted out before I give the bike back to him.

Should I start a new thread with those questions?

The main issue is that it is idling too fast and the cable is adjusted all the way down... I hope this doesn't mean complete carb cleaning and the works.

2nd is the petcock is only working on prime, so I am hoping I can take it off and clean it and reinstall and have it work.

3rd is the rear brake needs cleaning and/or bleeding because although it works, it doesn't grab very well.

4th The front brake signal wire is unattached so I will either have to fix it of get one of those hydraulic actuated banjo bolt things for him.
                          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                          80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                            Thanks to much help from Grand Rouge outside of the forum I did get everything back together with the 530 conversion. If I had it to do over again I think I would buy the master link that is NOT the riveted kind.

Here are a few pics of the new chain and sprockets. This is the Master Link that I "hope" has the pins flanges enough.

Here is the new front sprocket, and you can see that the gear indicator sensor that was leaking has stopped. I took it off and turned the o-ring around and tightened it down hard. After a few days there isn't a drop although if you touch your finger to the bolt it does have a smidge of oil seeping... not gonna worry about that right now though:

And rear sprocket:

After I got it all back together I took it for a ride and found a couple other things that need to be sorted out before I give the bike back to him.

Should I start a new thread with those questions?

The main issue is that it is idling too fast and the cable is adjusted all the way down... I hope this doesn't mean complete carb cleaning and the works.

2nd is the petcock is only working on prime, so I am hoping I can take it off and clean it and reinstall and have it work.

3rd is the rear brake needs cleaning and/or bleeding because although it works, it doesn't grab very well.

4th The front brake signal wire is unattached so I will either have to fix it of get one of those hydraulic actuated banjo bolt things for him.
                            Get one of those banjo bolt pressure switches, I replaced both of my brake mechanical switches with those, works pretty sweet.

Check the rear pads, they may have gotten something on them, then bleed it out. Check the brake fluid line, make sure it doesn't have a bad spot. Could be a new set could solve 90% of the problem, check the fronts too.

Petcock, eh, that could work though chances are he needs a new petcock.

Check the idle set screw, might be adjusted up too far. Also check for air leaks around the rubber boots. Could be time for a complete carb rebuild and new boots. Let us not forget when was the last valve adjustment done?

You just thought you were done lol.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks Mr. Bill, Yes I know, but since it is not mine and I am doing all this as a favor, was hoping NOT to have to do the works right now. I just want to make sure it is safe for him.
                              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                              80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                              X