Bound to happen - oil drip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bound to happen - oil drip

I'm almost surprised this hasn't happened sooner. I mean, I usually ride her like a college freshman away from home for the first time.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

wash her down with degreaser and tighten your cam chain tensioner bolts.....see what happens.

Unless you see some obvious leakage from a certain spot.

Comment

Okay, I'm ready to drag the hose out front. Hot engine or cold engine?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        Okay, I'm ready to drag the hose out front. Hot engine or cold engine?
        careful you twist your crank if the paint comes off

Comment

Cool is better. Got any Simple Green or...................S100?

Rob, noticed the brick under side stand. Ahh.....tall tires or suspension? Severely sloping away floor? Or is side stand pivot bolt really loose?

Comment

Just like to keep her as upright as possible. Read something about starting these bikes after they were on side stand not so good.

130/90-17 rear

3.50 v19 front

She seems to lean pretty far on the side stand, which is just as well, being that there's no center stand. According to PO: "This model didn't come with a center stand."

I was born at night, but not last night.

Comment

"This model didn't come with a center stand."
              Thoughtful of them to include center stand mounting points then.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just like to keep her as upright as possible. Read something about starting these bikes after they were on side stand not so good.

130/90-17 rear

3.50 v19 front

She seems to lean pretty far on the side stand, which is just as well, being that there's no center stand. According to PO: "This model didn't come with a center stand."

the PO has fleas also

Comment

130/90-17 rear

3.50 v19 front

Came originally with a center stand. Really did.

Anyway, my comment re your side stand......I just placed a brick under side stand, level floor, bike would topple to the right if not supported.

I recall your 1100EZ has left some parts on the road before, and I do know that a loose side stand shoulder bolt does allow the stand to swing well away from the frame retracted or extended and if really loose, I am thinking it could and would fall away.......and with no center stand or handy brick, Rob, you might not ever be able to dismount!

Anyway, where is the source of the leak???

Comment

Went for a ride before, so she's hot. No hose on her yet, but I figured a little WD-40 wouldn't hurt. So she's sitting in the street staining the asphalt now.

But the crank did twist a little - not too noticeable, on the bottom behind the pipes. Not a problem, I've got a whole can of VHT black engine enamel.

Comment

I have an on/off leak right under the Stator cover (where the cover meets the engine block). My last ride (Jun 14th) covered 322 miles and in some very warm weather. This time it hasn't dripped once. I just cleaned up the area some and smeared a light coat of silicone sealer over the gasket at that spot. Seems to have stopped it.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I recently found a very slow oil leak (seep?). Ended up being the oil pan gasket. There was some old gasket material that was left on the surface and it made an indentation in the gasket and caused the leak.

Comment

Working...
                        X