rattle from left side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rattle from left side

Just got the bike running good, and by good I mean never heard a bike this old run this well. I have put about 300 miles on it in the last 4 weeks. Everything was going fine until I had an issue starting it. Seems like the starter button is getting worn, it will only start if you hold the button in at a certain angle. I started it, rode it about 8 blocks from my house and then it dies. Put it on the trailer and took it home. This was yesterday. Today started it up and noticed a loud rattle coming from what sounds like the left side (that's the left when sitting on it). Its only rattling when under 1500 rpm. I never noticed this sound before. I am scared to even think of where to start. Any suggestions.

Does it go away or get less noisy if you pull in the clutch..if so its the clutch hub most likely. If it doesnt, then its most likely the starter clutch bolts that hold it to the back of the rotor have come loose.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

if the sound goes away above idle it is usually the starter clutch bolt's loose or broken.

Comment

Found the rattle, now the question is what do I replace the bolts with and where in the world can I find springs. The other problem I have is if you look at the pic in the album, link below, you will see that 2 of the springs busted. I think they broke off in the clutch housing. So I guess the question would be, if I can locate new ones then how do I get the remainder of the old ones out?

Comment

Believe it or not, click style ink pen springs work perfectly for starter clutches. 6 pack of pens at the dollar store for about $1.10 Take a wire with a little hook bent in it and go fishing down the holes.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-26-2014, 07:49 PM.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Now the real question, where to get the bolts? Would stainless bolts work? I can get stainless bolts tomorrow after work then put it all back together, or is there a better solution. I do have a manual to look up torque specks so that shouldn't be an issue. Also should I use some sort of thread lock on them or just torque them down?
            Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2014, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Get good hardened bolts. Clean the holes well with some carbs spray to get all the oil out. Same with the bolts clean them free of any oily residue. Good dose of red loctite on them when you reassemble things. Let it sit over night to be well sure the loctite has cured..or they may just work themselves loose again if running too soon..stainless may be too brittle I think.

Comment

Well I made a run to Menards and oddly they had bolts that would work. So everything is back together at proper torque specs and sitting overnight to let the thread lock do its job. Hopefully now I can ride without that annoying rattle. Thanks for the info about the pen springs I was about to spend about $23 to order 3 oem ones. After I looked over the springs I noticed that the click pen springs were a lot stouter. I also went as far as to look up the metal composition the two different springs are made out of and the click pen springs are better in that aspect too. Huh, whoed of thunk. Now to the ignition thread.

Comment

<marks thread 'interesting'>
                  I'm curious about the Bic starter.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Ok? what do you want to know? The actual starter motor was replaced last year and is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by adam View Post
                      Ok? what do you want to know? The actual starter motor was replaced last year and is ok.
                      Does it work ok with the alternative springs?
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I put it back together and it seemed to work fine but then I took the starter clutch and fly wheel aback off because now I need to replace the oil seal on the crank. Hopefully I can do it without having to pull the motor and crack the case like the factory wants you too. Guess that explains why my oil level always seemed to be low. Just hope it didn't do any damage to the stator.

Comment

May have the same issue

Hi, I believe I could have the same issue but would like a second opinion. Below is a youtube video of the noise (not the best quality) it is a left side engine noise, and doesn't sound catastrophic yet. Should I persue the same investigation as the starter clutch or do you advise looking else where.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV8CjboEGoA

GS750 engine.

Many Thanks in advance!

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by adam View Post
                            I put it back together and it seemed to work fine but then I took the starter clutch and fly wheel aback off because now I need to replace the oil seal on the crank. Hopefully I can do it without having to pull the motor and crack the case like the factory wants you too. Guess that explains why my oil level always seemed to be low. Just hope it didn't do any damage to the stator.
                            The stator is in an oil bath normally.

Comment

yes...you may not have a bad crank end seal, at all. The one to be worried about is the right side under the ignition cover.

Comment

Working...
                              X