Bikebandit valve cover gaskets...good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bikebandit valve cover gaskets...good?

Ok, I am not positive, but I may have to replace my OEM valve cover gasket after 31 years. My 83 is rolling on 28,000mi. and I'm getting an obvious leak on the 'U' where the cam chain rolls on the front on the motor. I am planning on ordering the gasket from Bikebandit and have read upteen threads basically outlining what to expect. What I'm not 100% on is what parts exactly should I get...I know the gasker first and foremost, but would it be adviseable to replace the seal and o-rings on the tach drive and any other gaskets or seals I may be overlooking? Any help or experience would save me a lot of work and don't want to have this cover off more than once in the season. Recommendations? Tips? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2014, 12:00 PM.

I just ordered my valve cover gasket from my local Suzuki dealer. It was $30, but exactly what I will need. Also, definitely replace any o-rings that you can fit in your budget. I am about to do a carb re-build and will be replacing all o-rings. Prevents from other things happening and gives you peace of mind for narrowing down troubles with your bike when needed. But I advise going to a local dealer to get gaskets if you can, that way you know the quality will be good.

Comment

Hi Mark,

First of all, what kind of bike do you have? The GSes came in many flavors and varied significantly among years.

Is the bike new to you? If so, you probably have a LOT of maintenance to catch up on, here's the starting point for everything you need to know: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=196338

To answer your questions more specifically:

1) Bikebandit will sell you OEM parts, but their prices tend to be higher than many other vendors. A lot of us like partsoutlaw.com.

2) If you're going to have the valve cover off, you might as well do a valve clearance check/adjustment. If the valve cover has literally not be off in 31 years as you imply, you are waaaay overdue.

3) You don't really have to replace any other seals or gaskets that aren't leaking. The tach drive seals can be changed easily at any time without removing the valve cover. If they don't leak, I wouldn't bother with them. One thing that typically does leak over time is the cam chain tensioner. If yours is leaking, now is a great time to tackle it.

Welcome!
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

"1) Bikebandit will sell you OEM parts, but their prices tend to be higher than many other vendors. A lot of us like partsoutlaw.com.

2) If you're going to have the valve cover off, you might as well do a valve clearance check/adjustment. If the valve cover has literally not be off in 31 years as you imply, you are waaaay overdue.

3) You don't really have to replace any other seals or gaskets that aren't leaking. The tach drive seals can be changed easily at any time without removing the valve cover. If they don't leak, I wouldn't bother with them. One thing that typically does leak over time is the cam chain tensioner. If yours is leaking, now is a great time to tackle it."

Response:
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        1) Had been on for some years now and recently had to re-sign up due to lost info.... 1983 GS1100E

2) I've been trying to keep up on the usuals..carb rebuild (twice) sprocket/chain conversion, tires,fluids and the like...now opening the motor for the first time seems 'dire' and know its probably pretty straight forward but don't want to ruin my rocketship if you know what I mean

3) I'll look up the valve adjustment procedures and trepidaciously mull that over without boggling my brain, as I know I should definitely do it. Cam chain tensioner is seeping a bit and would love to score a manual tensioner...but funds are limited at the moment...can the tensioner gasket be replaced without a big mess or is that pretty much fool-proof? Roger that on the tach gear o-rings..they look ok, some old oil crust, but not a major leak source.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

From my research here I've found more folks leaning towards OEM gaskets. I think it's worth it.

Comment

If you have an 8-valve 750 or an 850, Z1 tends to have the best price on valve cover gaskets.
            Not OEM, but I have never had any problems with them.

While you are filling your shopping cart, be sure to add a set of half-moons, as they will likely be hard.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Got these in the mail today

I had $2.50 in "bandit bucks" and upgraded my shipping free, but got the vc gasket,new half moons and a breather gasket, all said and sent was 53 bucks- n'-change. So , with a set of feeler gauges, going to crack the cover and see if these well explained, Basscliff walk-throughs I've been reading and re-reading actually makes my hands move like a seasoned master hack.

Comment

Good and way over pirced is why they are called BANDIT...
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I have had good luck with the Valve cover gaskets from Z1...

Comment

The masked bandit

Nah....everything went well, Genuine Suzuki gaskets from the bandit...but have and will use Jeff over at Z1 for my business as well, besides, Jeffs a great guy and certainly a great source of technicals on UJM's. Overall (I guess..oddly?) all the valves, both intake and exhaust, were within spec (.003-.005") so it was simply a valve cover gasket and breather gasket change. Top internals look excellent with no visible wear, timing chain was up to snuff and the piece of mind to have eliminated ALL oil seepage over the front case (dry at last!). Super easy with MUCH thanks to Basscliff and other contributers to this awesome list for the walkthroughs.

Comment

What are those half-moons called on Z1? Tnx

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Mom View Post
                        What are those half-moons called on Z1? Tnx
                        Cam End Plugs.

For my model (check for yours):
                        Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Working...
                        X