Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs 1000e , smoke coming from right exhaust

ok where to even start ??? lol
    smoke is coming out of my right exhaust pipe after riding for approx 45 min to 1 hr , thought this problem was due to a leaking petcock vacume line sucking gas and blasting it into carb number 3 , but after correcting that issue , the problem is still there , smoke usally only comes out of right pipe when i come to a stop , which is rather imberising !!! a big plume of smoke , makes me disapear as i hope most days are windy , cuzz the smoke isnt as noticable !!! hahahaha

ok so what can be causing this problem , and what steps do i need to take to inspecting which of the many areas of the engine that could be causing this problem ? again smoke only from right side pipe !!!

1 - worn piston rings or cylinder
    2 - worn valve guides
    3 - worn out cylinder walls
    4 - worn valve stems
    5 - defective stem seal

not sure if any of you can tell me a way of doing a process of elimination here , or am i pretty much going to have to remove entire head , replace all piston rings etc etc rebuild top end ? hopefully not the case if so ill have to sell this old beast !!! cuzz that just isnt in my cards dropping $1000 for a top end rebuild ..

or do i just drive the shlit out of her and ignore the looks from peoplke when that puff of smoke fills the air ... and the car next to me with there window open ..... hahahaha
    Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2014, 11:02 AM.

oh and do any of these oil smoke repairs kits work ? you know the ones some thick sticky oil crap you pour a half of liter into your engine and it miraculously stops smoke coming out of the exhaust ... hahaha wishfull thinking here !!!

Comment

I would bet on the valve stem seals gone south for the first and easiest fix. If it doesnt fix it then the second option would be oil rings. Or you can do both at the same time the engine is apart and be done with both possibilites at the same time...which honestly would make the best sense.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        I would bet on the valve stem seals gone south for the first and easiest fix. If it doesnt fix it then the second option would be oil rings. Or you can do both at the same time the engine is apart and be done with both possibilites at the same time...which honestly would make the best sense.
        and whats required to get to the valve stem seals Chuck ? do you have to remove the head ?
        the thought of removing the cam hold downs on this bike is just frightening !! , when i adjusted the valves , noticed the PO had over tourqed everything , so when you try to remove a bolt to remove the cams , the bolts snapp off in the head ....
        so the thought of taking the head off this bike just sounds like a chore !!

there is only 32000 km on this bike

Comment

Glad to hear your petcock rebuild worked......YAY

See I mentioned the valve stem seals and or rings as well....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
            Glad to hear your petcock rebuild worked......YAY

See I mentioned the valve stem seals and or rings as well....LOL

yes you did Dan ... hahaha

so you going to help me do this in the coming weeks ? a case of beer and an all nighter in your garage ??? lmao

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
              yes you did Dan ... hahaha

so you going to help me do this in the coming weeks ? a case of beer and an all nighter in your garage ??? lmao
              as long as we are talking about working on motorcycles.....

no problem....

I am waiting on my oil pan gasket for the FZ, so plan your day and let me know....

we can work in my garage, if the is easier for you, no problem, bring the bike over and let's get going....

better do it before I get the BMW and Honda in there....we will have no room....

Comment

What numbers on this diagram is the valve stem seals and oil rings ?
                Im thinking sell this piece of crap with my gs 650 & be done with bikes !!! Grrrr

Comment

sell them and buy my 750.....

Comment

Nahh your 750 is too small !! Lol I like the feel and the size of my 1000 ..

Comment

i have a plan .... how about i give you a 83 650 plus $100 bucks for the 750 ?? lmao

650 + 100 = 750 even trade ... hahahah

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
                        i have a plan .... how about i give you a 83 650 plus $100 bucks for the 750 ?? lmao

650 + 100 = 750 even trade ... hahahah
                        Comedian you are not......LOL

Don't give up your day job......

2500 bucks, you keep your bike and you gain a 750, much better math....

Comment

#14 here is the stem seals....

Shop online for OEM Cam Shaft - Valve parts that fit your 1978 Suzuki GS1000EC, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

#23 here ( more specifically 23-1 on the list ) is the ring set, The oil ring is the one on the bottom with the honey comb looking weave sandwiched between two thin fklta rings. And honestly your better off just putting all new rings in when its open anyway. Dom it all and be done with it for the next 30 years.

Shop online for OEM Crankshaft parts that fit your 1978 Suzuki GS1000EC, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

And yes you have to remove the cams to do the stem seals ...no way around that fact. There are many threads showing home made tools to do stem seals with the head still on. But regardless the cams will be comming out.
                          Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-24-2014, 10:13 PM.
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            #14 here is the stem seals....

Shop online for OEM Cam Shaft - Valve parts that fit your 1978 Suzuki GS1000EC, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

#23 here ( more specifically 23-1 on the list ) is the ring set, The oil ring is the one on the bottom with the honey comb looking weave sandwiched between two thin fklta rings. And honestly your better off just putting all new rings in when its open anyway. Dom it all and be done with it for the next 30 years.

And yes you have to remove the cams to do the stem seals ...no way around that fact. There are many threads showing home made tools to do stem seals with the head still on. But regardless the cams will be comming out.
                            I dont see a #23-1 in that pic chuck ... are you meaning piston rings ?
                            & thanks for the diagram ..

Comment

Scroll down in the descriptions list where the prices are......23-1= standard bore sizes etc etc.. Not the over bore size numbers after the part numbers?? As in an over bored cylinder?????

Comment

Working...
                              X