What am I doing wrong here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I doing wrong here?

I'm trying to remove my starter clutch assembly for inspection, repair and reinstallation. My main problem is that the starter clutch is rotating freely on crankshaft when the starter motor is engaged.

I picked up the rotor removal tool this afternoon, and I'm trying to "loosen" the rotor retaining bolt (as seen in the photo).

From the manual, step 7a reads...

"Place 2 small blocks of wood under one piston to hold the crankshaft from turning."

I should also point out that step 1 in this sections reads...

"Perform engine removal."

I would like very much to remove the starter clutch assembly without having to "Perform engine removal," but so far all of my attempts to remove this rotor retaining bolt have failed miserably.

What am I doing wrong?

need an impact.
    should zip the bolt right out.
    now sure about the engine removal comment.
    not needed...never needed in the area you are working on.

Comment

this bolt is not reverse threaded or anything weird like that is it?

I wonder if my porter cable cordless would do it...

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Once you get the bolt out,you might need to heat up the flywheel area behind the bolt. I use map gas and heat it to a dull red. The puller should then pop it off.
        Curt
        sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

No reverse thread...
          Curt
          sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Ok, so I don't have the correct tools.

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Originally posted by poorgradstudent View Post

I'm trying to remove my starter clutch assembly for inspection, repair and reinstallation. My main problem is that the starter clutch is rotating freely on crankshaft when the starter motor is engaged.

I picked up the rotor removal tool this afternoon, and I'm trying to "loosen" the rotor retaining bolt (as seen in the photo).

From the manual, step 7a reads...

"Place 2 small blocks of wood under one piston to hold the crankshaft from turning."

I should also point out that step 1 in this sections reads...

"Perform engine removal."

I would like very much to remove the starter clutch assembly without having to "Perform engine removal," but so far all of my attempts to remove this rotor retaining bolt have failed miserably.

What am I doing wrong?
              ........... hi you could use an impact gun and socket that will get it off or loose ,,i,ve used 1 reasonably cheap to buy 1 regards oldgrumpy

Comment

Working...
              X