Do I need this part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need this part?

Ok so I got a second gs750. It's a 77 and since it's gonna be kickstart only. I was wondering since the starter is gonna be gone can I get rid of these 2 things.

It's attached to the fly wheel

And here's how the bike sits
    Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2014, 06:22 PM. Reason: Photos not working

You need the stator rotor or you will have no charging system. You will have to machine a spacer if you remove the starter clutch drive gear.

Comment

Sorry I no I need the sator but the part that's is bolted to the back of it for the starter gear. Can I remove that? And why would I need a spacer I thought the sator was held in place by the crank since a tapped end.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

You need both the rotor and stator..
          You will gain little by removing the starter clutch mechanism.

I am not sure but the whole crank assembly may be balanced with this in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsgsxr View Post
            Anyone?
            All evidence removed.

Comment

Easiest just to remove the starter motor and plug the hole. Leave the starter clutch on the crank.
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

So I need all but the starter and little gear? Damn I thought it would be like a car far as lighter fly wheel better throttle response. Hmmmm gonna try it anyways and see what happens lol

Comment

Notice to forum: 78 GS750 for parts soon to be available. Blown engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsgsxr View Post
                    So I need all but the starter and little gear? Damn I thought it would be like a car far as lighter fly wheel better throttle response. Hmmmm gonna try it anyways and see what happens lol
                    It's not a flywheel (I'm pretty sure I typed the same response a month ago)

The starter gear does not rotate with the crank, so it has no effect on throttle response or crank mass or balance

While pulling it may seem like a good idea, you'd have to get a custom spacer machined to go between the rotor and the case - so, $500 to lose 4 lbs of nonrotating mass?

You do the math

Just pull the starter out, and, if you must, the idler gear, pin and washers. Plug the hole where the starter comes through the case with a rubber plug
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                    X