Drip drip...what to do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drip drip...what to do now?

So I'm at the end of a year long build where I took it down to the frame and rebuilt the entire bike EXCEPT taking apart the engine since I know my limits at this point. So while I'm still dealing with some carb issue I am at a point that the engine will run, when I noticed a droplet of oil on the ground. I let it run for maybe ten minutes and 1 droplet or 2 leaked out. I hear a slight "knock" sound every now and then and it picked up when I pulled on the throttle. What should I do? Since I'm at the end of the build and it's summer and haven't even ridden the bike would it we ok to ride and then rip it apart in the winter? I've attached the pics where the leak is coming from and the arrow is the highest point I see oil. Ugh!

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2014, 09:21 PM.

It's high enough that it may very well be the valve/cam cover gasket. Super easy fix, and cheap.

Looks like you have clean oil, so it may be hard to see where it's coming out, but take a good look at the gasket along the front and back of the exhaust side - hopefully it's that simple.

Comment

I think in the 16 valve head the center 2 front head bolts have rubber o rings on them that could possibly leak externally.
      Regardless......clean the engine top especially.....go for a 20 minute ride and come home and remove the gas tank.....
      Get a good light and start looking.

Comment

nice job on the cafe racer to over the top just needs few finishing touches like seat pad !
        where did you get the seat ?

ozman

Comment

Hit it with some engine degreaser and let that sit for about 10 minutes..then power wash it to get a clean engine to start the search with. If you dont have a power washer, trailer it to the car wash, shoot the degreaser and power spray it there. I say trailer because you dont want to hit the degreaser on a really hot engine.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The engine has been completely cleaned and painted over the last year and this is the first time it's been started. I can see where the oil is coming from as far as the pictures show, but I can't see back any further to tell where it starts from.

Comment

Could also be coming from where the tach cable connect to front of engine, easy fix, just need to remove and replace o-rings. terrylee

Comment

get a light and look up under the cam cover along the can chain tunnel sides..thats a common spot.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

My guess after seeing the photo is the O-rings on the two front center head nuts.

Comment

So I've looked everywhere for this leak and the only thing that I can see it leak from is the picture that I previously attached. I was going to put off fixing this, but the oil happens to leak down and right on the pipes so it causes quite a bit of smoke. It seems like the oil is coming from the area with the red arrow on the picture. Could I have a hole in the casting?

Comment

That would be very odd but I 'guess' it's possible. If it actually is that, which I doubt, JB weld could be your friend.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
                        So I've looked everywhere for this leak and the only thing that I can see it leak from is the picture that I previously attached. I was going to put off fixing this, but the oil happens to leak down and right on the pipes so it causes quite a bit of smoke. It seems like the oil is coming from the area with the red arrow on the picture. Could I have a hole in the casting?
                        Have a good look for a leak at the carb side of the engine, maybe the source of the leak is on that side, and the oil runs through the open channels of the cooling fins to the front.

A possible source for the leak is the valve cover gasket in the area of the cam chain tunnel, on the carb side of the engine.
                        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

I've looked on all sides of the engine and this is the only wet area I can see. The engine is freshly painted so it's pretty easy to see where oil is at since everything looks new-ish. If I do find there is a small hole in the casting I don't have any experience with JB weld. Would I just dab some in that back corner where the silver has worn off? That's where it seems like it's wet the most. The other side of that fin seems ok Also, when using the JB weld does tha back area need to be completely dry?

Comment

Directly above that spot is a valve cover bolt, yes? Was it helicoiled by any chance?

One small trick is to spray the head with foot powder after it is has been washed and completely dried. Once you start the engine, it will slow the oil down enough that you'll see the first instance of oil making it's way out of the engine.

The bike is looking good. I feel your pain in not being able to ride. If you are hearing knocking, I'd look into it. You've put too much time and energy into it already to have something disastrous happen on your first real run.
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Not sure what you mean by helicoiled? Yes it is frustrating because I'm still in the process of carb syncing too and now I have the oil dripping on the pipes causing a lot of smoke so at least I'm down to 2 problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X