Clutch cover still leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cover still leaks

After sorting the clutch out a couple of months back, put a new gen cover gasket on, I added a smear if grease to both surface, but it started leaking at the oil site window area, tried again with a little gasket sealer on both faces, still leaks, it was dry before I removed the cover with the old gasket, thinking it might be worth trying again gasket only no greases/sealer what you think.

Originally posted by Chris G View Post
    After sorting the clutch out a couple of months back, put a new gen cover gasket on, I added a smear if grease to both surface, but it started leaking at the oil site window area, tried again with a little gasket sealer on both faces, still leaks, it was dry before I removed the cover with the old gasket, thinking it might be worth trying again gasket only no greases/sealer what you think.

New gen cover gasket? If it is starting to leak at the oil level window, is it the window itself leaking or ? If it is the window chances are it needs to be replaced. A pic would be helpful here.

I don't like the idea of using gasket sealer on these bikes because of the oil jets inside the motor. I've always used OEM gaskets except for one time I used a clutch cover gasket from Ebay claiming it was a Suzuki Gasket. It wasn't and it leaked. I also don't like to grease a gasket either, some do and say they can reuse the gasket. I would rather just buy a new one.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

No not leaking from the window, that's the area of the leak it's from the lower bolt to the underside of the window, looking at the gasket itself there is very little indentation on the gasket in that area, also dug the dowels out on the engine side, there was quite a bit of old sealer stuck in the bottom of each hole, not from me, someone else from the past.
      When I say original gasket, it's gen gasket but old stock the black ones, can't see any nicks in it look good, think I'd be better ordering a new gen one.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

do the bolts up tighter! are you going to the correct torque? (plus a bit more)
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          do the bolts up tighter! are you going to the correct torque? (plus a bit more)
          Tried nipping them up a bit more first time it leaked, still leaked, then tried it with gasket sealer same thing, I looked in the manual a few times for torque settings just can't find em, unless they call em something else in the engine torque table, or clutch section. I have just found a (tightening torque chart)if threads are 6mm it refers to bolts marked as conventional or "4" to 4 to 7 Nm if marked with "7" 8 to 12 Nm mine are all stainless examples.

Nipped em up in the past using a quarter drive set, didn't want to get carried away and strip any threads out.

Comment

have you put the cover on a glass surface to see if it is warped, or bowed in that corner?
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

That's something I can check, but it was oil tight with the old gasket, and it wasn't full of sealer in the area like someone in the past was trying to hide it.

Comment

well something has to have changed to cause it to leak like that. crack in the cover or crankcase maybe?

P.S. are you sure your 850 is 1986????
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

It was registered in 86 I don't see any letter prefix as others have mentioned in the engine/frame number, just numbers from memory when I checked it fell between the numbers to make it a 86, though I I'm not sure how to confirm the model, obviously its a G but GG

Comment

Working...
                  X