Loose Timing Chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose Timing Chain?

While rotating my engine when I was replacing my valve shims I noticed that the chain would droop once or twice per rotation. See the pictures below. Is this normal? Or does my chain need to be tightened?

Make sure your tensioner is installed correctly.

Far too many times, a well-meaning wrench monkey will read part of the instructions, but not all of them.

Remove the tensioner.
    Retract the plunger, lock it in place with the setscrew
    Install the tensioner
    Release the setscrew
    Turn the setscrew in until it stops (Here is where they stop reading)
    Turn the setscrew back out 1/4 to 1/2 turn, lock it in place with the lock nut.

For some reason, they release the plunger, then lock it in place so it can't move and do its job.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wow... that was exactly what it was. The PO did say he "adjusted it" when I bought it. Thanks again Steve

Comment

Hmmmmm.

I followed the clymer instructions and it said to remove the tensioner secure the set screw and leave it secured. Then when reinstalling it to then turn the set screw out about a quarter turn, but not more than a half and then secure the lock nut. That's what I did but a week and a half later have started hearing some clicking that I fear is the cam chain. Is what I did wrong? what is the difference between releasing the plunger and then just turning out 1/4 or slightly more turns?

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelbreak View Post
          what is the difference between releasing the plunger and then just turning out 1/4 or slightly more turns?
          Releasing the plunger lets it adjust the chain tension and keep it adjusted.
          Not releasing it doesn't.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I just went back and read the instructions in clymer, and since I was just changing the gasket somehow I skipped the part where you push the plunger in. I hope this can't cause any problems that would cause permanent damage to my engine!

Comment

I bought a Z650 new in 1980. It had an automatic tensioner fitted for that model year. When I went back for the 'free' first service he removed the small setscrew, replaced it with a 2" long screw and locknut and locked it down hard on the adjuster muttering something about these auto tensioners were not up to the job. He also set it with the motor running.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Well, it was free service and he probably wanted to see you back soon to do more " fine tuning" !
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                  I bought a Z650 new in 1980. It had an automatic tensioner fitted for that model year. When I went back for the 'free' first service he removed the small setscrew, replaced it with a 2" long screw and locknut and locked it down hard on the adjuster muttering something about these auto tensioners were not up to the job. He also set it with the motor running.
                  Some of them weren't very good. The GS design was one of the few that when set properly and just left alone, actually worked.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelbreak View Post
                    I just went back and read the instructions in clymer, and since I was just changing the gasket somehow I skipped the part where you push the plunger in. I hope this can't cause any problems that would cause permanent damage to my engine!
                    If in doubt start from scratch. By refitting the tensioner with the plunger fully forward you may have overtightened the chain.

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    Well, it was free service and he probably wanted to see you back soon to do more " fine tuning" !
                    Never saw me again except for the rear wheel bearing that collapsed after 6000 miles replaced under warranty but most likely due to my over zealous cleaning regime. I put nearly 30k on that machine in less than three years, must have had the cams out half a dozen times to only once need a shim. After a serious party I woke up the next day to find the engine on the roof. Some friends.

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    Some of them weren't very good. The GS design was one of the few that when set properly and just left alone, actually worked.
                    I wonder if the practice of locking auto tensioners is partly a hangover from that era or am I giving people too much credit Yes I am, I'll get my coat.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                    X