1980 GS750L which needs motor swap- looking for info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750L which needs motor swap- looking for info

Hello all- My first post here! Great site, I have been searching and reading for some time now.

I own a 1980 GS750L which has only 6K original miles! I was riding last week and the engine started to make a ticking noise, and within about a mile it sounded like I was about to loose a rod through the block so I pulled over and had her towed home. Appears to be major internal engine damage

I have been researching what replacement motors would be a good candidate- what I found (and i'm looking for some confirmation here) is the following:

-because my bike is chain drive I must replace with a chain drive motor
    -because I have a 1980 GS750L (16 valve) I can fit any 1980-1986 750, 850, 1000 or 1100 engine
    -83-86 1000's will be able to retain the oil light and gear indicator.
    -I will be able to reuse my original stock exhaust (the larger motors may require some modifying)
    -With the larger motors I will need to run pod filters because the airbox size is different

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of the above! I have been on the hunt locally for about a week with little to no success- anyone know of a cycle yard who ships?

I was able to find a 1979 1000 that has a motor in great shape- I dont think it will work, but can anyone confirm that for me? would I be able to use it if I created motor mount brackets?

Heres the day I brought her home!

and the day she died:

Comment

Post a location, I have a 1981.750 engine sitting here doing nothing but taking up space.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Post a location, I have a 1981.750 engine sitting here doing nothing but taking up space.
        ......me too......although mine is not in "plug and play" condition.
        Last edited by Larry D; 07-01-2014, 03:01 PM.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I'm in Rochester NY!

Comment

So can anyone tell me if the 1979 1000cc motor would fit in my 1980 750L frame?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              8 or 16 valve? I like the idea of more power from a bigger motor, but I would be willing to keep it a 750! Any one have an idea of how much the motor weighs?

Comment

It's a 16 valve engine, supposed to run with no funny noises but it leaks, and needs gaskets everywhere. I haven't heard it run.
                I'm sure you can find one closer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if the 79 1000 motor I found will fit in my 80 750L 16 valve frame?

Comment

nick, where in rochester are you? i'm from there, but live about 1.5 hrs west towards niagara falls.

Comment

Change the rocker arm and cam that ate it.
                      Shim the oil valve in the oil sump. Do a search since I've only read about it.
                      These motors are known for oil starvation at the head.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Bolt in an 80-83 16 valve 1100 motor or an 1150 motor & go have LOTS more fun!!!
                        Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by coastiepete View Post
                          nick, where in rochester are you? i'm from there, but live about 1.5 hrs west towards niagara falls.
                          On the east side in Fairport, My father inlaw works at a paper plant in Niagara!

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Change the rocker arm and cam that ate it.
                          Shim the oil valve in the oil sump. Do a search since I've only read about it.
                          These motors are known for oil starvation at the head.
                          I took the cam cover off looking for anything- nothing exciting... When it last ran it definitely sounded like lower end knocking. so much for getting lucky...

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                          Bolt in an 80-83 16 valve 1100 motor or an 1150 motor & go have LOTS more fun!!!
                          Ray.
                          Thats the goal here, its been difficult finding a donor so far though! All ive found so far is a '79 1000cc which I still dont know if it will fit or work with mounts...
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2014, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X