Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch slipping above 4K rpm

Howdy folks.

So, my gs650gl is on the road and with the new carb boots, adjusted valves, and rebuilt carbs, pretty fun to ride.

I do have a minor issue though - When I'm riding, if I shift at a high rpm, so that the engine is above 4K after the shift, the clutch slips. If I ease off the gas a little, it stops. Is this weak clutch springs? I've played with the cable adjustment. When it's loose enough to make the bike jump a little when I put it in 1st (and die sometimes), it's still not loose enough to prevent the slipping. I don't think the clutch cable is to blame.

Now, this bike is the only experience I have with a street bike of any size. I'm running Delvac diesel oil, 15w-40, and have never used an "energy conserving" engine/trans oil. Perhaps I'm just being sloppy with the timing of my throttle and clutch and once it starts slipping, it's going to continue.

What should I check?

Grab a set of OEM clutch springs for about $20, get a clutch cover gasket and get ready to replace.

Chances are it's only the springs, but while you have the clutch apart, inspect the plates. The steels should be flat and not discolored from heat, the fibers should be thicker than the minimum that is posted in your manual.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I had a similar problem with the clutch slipping at higher revs on my GS650GT. I took the cover off with the bike on its side stand without draining any oil, I checked the plates and they were all in spec, so I bought a set of new Suzuki Clutch Spings and it cured the problem, they only cost me about £15 for the set. DO NOT use Heavy Duty clutch springs, they are not necessary.

Comment

I bought the "heavy duty" clutch springs from fleabay, and only replaced 3 of the 6. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
          I bought the "heavy duty" clutch springs from fleabay, and only replaced 3 of the 6. Works great.
          smart man...

Comment

For a stock 650G?

Overkill big time. Stock springs are fine. Can't make it slip if the plates are still there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

heat cycles make the fibers hard as a rock.
              30 year old bikes have had a lot of those plus depending on the riding habits the bike has went through.
              within spec means nothing if the material is petrified.
              use a half set of heavier springs and get the most out of what life is left in the fiber plates.
              be it a 250 or an 1150..unless a person is limp wrist-ed or what ever.........

Comment

hi guys,

I got exact the same bike with exact the same problem after being dead for 4 years
                did the rebuild etc etc .. and i wanted to post this question but some1 else did that for me
                so the answer for my problem I found again on this site
                i'll be getting me some new spring than
                grtz

Comment

what oil did you put in the bike? It's possible you will need to replace the fiber plates if you used an automotive oil with friction reducing additives. Those additives get absorbed by the fiber plates and cause slipping.

Comment

I've only ever used diesel oils (Delo, rotella, etc), and made sure they didn't say energy conserving.

I think the problem is that the clutch cable is (knowing the shop I bought the bike from) routed wrong or the wrong cable and too long. I can bump it with my leg while I'm riding, and I think that is causing the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X