Odd 1100 oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd 1100 oil leak

So I'm having an odd oil leak that I just can't track down. It appears on the top of the engine just under the cam cap on the #4 spark plug area. It looks as if the left hand head bolt is the source of the leak. If you look at the picture, you'll see a small puddle just starting to form under the cam cap. It then drips down to pool around the spark plug. If I run the engine on idle with a fan running to keep it cool, it won't happen. It has to be under running conditions for it to show up.

So far, I have replaced the copper washer under the upper left head bolt in the picture and torqued it down according to the manual specs. I also added a little gasket sealer under the copper gasket just to help it seal a little better. But here's the problem. There is no oil underneath the outside of the cam cap or in the inside of the cam cap when I inspect it. I don't see any oil around or on the half moons behind the cam caps. There is no oil underneath the valve cover in that area or any oil seeping around the valve cover gasket. When I pull the spark plug to check the threads, there is no oil on the spark plug threads or the threads of the engine. If you look close at the picture, you can also see where the top engine fin has a little oil on it too. So it appears as if it's dripping downward, since the top fin is a little wet with oil and there is a small puddle of oil under the cam cap. And I guess from there it flows on down to the spark plug area. Also, there is never any oil on my pants when I ride it so I guess that means there's not a lot of pressure behind the leak?

What am I missing here? Any one ever experience this issue or have any suggestions? It's probably something stupid I'm missing but a little help would be appreciated.

[img][/img]
    sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Oil leaks can go uphill. The source could be forward and down. On the basis of the picture the head screw below the plug looks iffy, especially that white stuff. I wouldn't have expected oil anywhere near that screw but there's always a first time. Clean off all the oil and dust the area with fine chalk or similar and wait for it to show.
    There probably is oil on your pants, you just don't notice it.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      I hate when that happens.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        I hate when that happens.
        Ewwwweeee...
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The white stuff you see is the baby powder I put on the engine to source the leak. It seems to me that it would be pretty hard for oil to leak upwards and cover the top fin without getting oil all over my pants. Plus, it's pretty much isolated to that one area. I'm still inclined to believe it's dripping down from somewhere.

My next option is to borrow a friend's GoPro camera and somehow strap it to the gas tank, take a spin and see if the camera can pick up where the leak is coming from.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
          sigpic

Comment

That cover gasket looks like the original one I replaced on my 1100 earlier this year. Are you sure it's not seeping out somewhere around the gasket?

Maryville, huh? Was just down there a week ago to ride the TOTD. Beautiful area

Comment

When you are running the bike with a fan on it, is it on the center stand? If so, place it on the kickstand instead and check. If not the gasket or the half moons...
              Cam cover might have a hair line crack that leaks or perhaps someone replaced the cam end cap screws with longer ones that enter the oil?

Comment

Not unknown for a tiny little seep to be blown around by the airflow pattern in its vicinity and seem to be coming from somewhere else.
                About all you can do it really clean it, dry it and run it again and hope to pinpoint it eventually.
                ---- Dave
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

A-train. It's a brand new gasket. I felt all around the gasket and the bottom of the valve cover and the gasket area. Nothing shows up on my fingers. Perhaps there's a leak that's getting pressure behind it and squirting it out so nothing touches any of the surrounding area. And yes, Maryville, TN. I live basically 10 minutes from the Dragon from my driveway. Great area to ride but you have to go at the right time on the Dragon to really enjoy it.

GSX1000E, yes, it's on the center stand. I've pulled the cam covers and checked each time. No oil anywhere on the half moons or the cam covers, even the insides of the cam cover is dry. But you gave me the idea of running the bike next time with the cam covers off. Maybe I'll see something then. Thanks

Grimly, thanks for the help. I guess I'm thinking too much along the lines of it being some kind of drip since it always ends up pooling around the spark plug. When I get back home I'll follow everyone's suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm out of state right now and have to run down to McDonald's to get wifi to get online.

So for now, I'm going to see about borrowing my friend's GoPro camera and take the cam cover off , drive it for a short bit and see if I can find the leak.

Thanks everyone for the help. When I figure it out, I'll update what I find. But if there are any other suggestions, please feel free to comment.
                  sigpic

Comment

You mean the end cap? I hope.
                    ---- Dave

Comment

Yes.. the end cap. Sorry.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
                        Yes.. the end cap. Sorry.
                        Just to clarify - if you really wanted to check oil flow to the cams, you can run most engines without the covers, and on some you might not even drench yourself / bike / garage in oil, especially only at idle.
                        On some others, the oil flow would amaze you, especially when some dolt revs it a bit.
                        ---- Dave

Comment

I had an oil leak on my bike, that was pooling in the same area and some lower. Looked everywhere near the pools of oil to no avail. Got it all washed off and went to do the powder trick to find the leak, but i had to ride a couple of miles from wash. No oil in the usual spots when i got back. But I got more curious and grabbed a rag and just started to wipe areas of the motor. And there it was! Leak was from a loose bolt in the front mid center of motor, where cam chain runs. I'm the perfect example of, "Just cause that's where the oil is at doesn't mean that's where its coming from".....Look everywhere.

Comment

kjsamm... Thanks for the reply. That's a great idea. I've been looking at all the obvious areas and just couldn't figure out what is going on. Never thought to try looking at any non-obvious areas. I find sometimes that thinking logically isn't always the answer but I get caught up frustrating myself as I debate myself as to why the logical answer isn't working. I think I'll try what you did after I get home before I do anything else and see if I can find it before I have my friend bring over his GoPro. Thanks
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
                              kjsamm... Thanks for the reply. That's a great idea. I've been looking at all the obvious areas and just couldn't figure out what is going on. Never thought to try looking at any non-obvious areas. I find sometimes that thinking logically isn't always the answer but I get caught up frustrating myself as I debate myself as to why the logical answer isn't working. I think I'll try what you did after I get home before I do anything else and see if I can find it before I have my friend bring over his GoPro. Thanks
                              No problem, glad I could be of some assistance.

Comment

Working...
                              X