Valve Cover End Caps Necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Cover End Caps Necessary?

Are the chrome end caps on the valve cover necessary for anything? I know they cover the half moons but does it matter?

My bike only came with two, and one of them was screwed into (self tapping screws) the flange on the valve cover from the outside (650's screw in from the under side) and the other may have gotten broken when I tried to remove it without researching how to...

The only ones I can find come with the entire valve cover and I'm not looking to buy the whole assembly

Purely cosmetic.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Excellent. Jeep culture has swayed me to have the opinion that chrome is evil

Comment

Evil, or just silly?
        Not a fan of chrome myself.

I have some powdercoated black ones, I like them.

Comment

Silly and too 'look at me' (sorry Dad, I don't think there is a single piece left to swap for chrome on your Heritage Classic). I was actually thinking that they would look pretty good coated black. If I could find a set cheap that's the way I would go

Comment

I probably have some extras for the 650, send a PM if you want them.

Could do them in Gloss Black, Wrinkle Red, whatever flavor powdercoat you want.

Comment

PM sent, thanks

Comment

Black is faster than chrome (or really any other color). It's science.

Comment

Black chrome is sweet!

Comment

The chrome endcaps will do nothing but retain your half-moons if one falls out. At least you know where to find it, even though your journey is cut short and your leg is covered in oil.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Sorry to bump and old thread.

Does anyone know what size screw is used for these end caps? I'm gonna go to a local hardware store and get some new ones. I don't feel like waiting around to order the OEM ones.

Shop online for OEM Cylinder Head Cover parts that fit your 1980 Suzuki GS550L, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

Part #02122-05127

Comment

Originally posted by srg View Post
                        Sorry to bump and old thread.

Does anyone know what size screw is used for these end caps? I'm gonna go to a local hardware store and get some new ones. I don't feel like waiting around to order the OEM ones.

Part #02122-05127
                        The part number gives you the size - M5 x 12mm long
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks! I suspected as much, but I didn't figure out how to decipher the parts number.

Comment

Working...
                          X