Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

copper coat or other head gasket sealant on MLS install? case assembly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copper coat or other head gasket sealant on MLS install? case assembly?

I have a freshly resurfaced 79 850 cylinder block and 79 750 head, & am using the gs1100g MLS head gasket vs a composite or custom made cometic head gasket.

I was wondering if it was still a good idea to use any products on this install, or if I should just put it on dry? On surfaces that have had sealer on them in past rebuilds, I am always upset at the difficulty in cleaning them off, so dry would be preferred as long as I am not compromising anything.

I have 72mm (+3mm overbore for gs850 sleeves) pistons, hence the gs1100g (8valve) head gasket with a 73mm bore.

Also, any tips on reassembling my case halves, particularly getting the shift forks in right? I have the crank/kickstart/trans in the top half, shift forks and drum in bottom half, going to install with top half upside down on bench. ThreeBond 1207b probably, but I also have 1211. Should I use the 1211 on the oil gallery o-ring, as it was on the flat non-recessed surface like that when I tore it apart. Clymers says do that to the base gasketsealerhaped o rings with 1211 also.

Any benefit/extra insurance to use any sealer on the head at the oil pressure corner stud passages only?
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Gasgacinch! Two coats on each side of gasket, head surface & block surface. Allow to dry between coats. Make SURE you get it on the dowels correctly when you set it as it will STICK!!!
    Ray.

Comment

The Kawasaki KZ guys fill the square cam chain tunnel O-ring groove with RTV when they use MLS type gaskets. Let dry before assembling the engine. A lot of them also swear by Copper Coat on the gaskets. Not sure what's best, but it's interesting to see the different opinions.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hmmm....well...

Manuals say nothing about any sealant, and I absolutely despise having to clean that stuff off of the head gasket surfaces on teardowns...BUT, if it means better sealing and no chance of a leak on a straight head, then maybe I should go for it.

Big advantage over clean&dry install, anyone care to comment on? It's a 10:1 piston'd 920cc build, .004" milled off the cylinders (ebay parts salvage seller used a D.A. sander to clean up surface, sheesh!) and .002" off the head to clean up some minor scratches around the oil passages.

Ray, if you swear by Gaskacinch, then I know it must be good for high heat high performance applications. Is coating the block and head commonplace? I just thought you did the gasket both sides 2 coats. So I guess I'll have to mask it off with masking tape or a cardboard cutout of the head gasket, plus the combustion chambers. Please excuse me, still learning the ins and outs.
        '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
        '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
        '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
        '79 GS425stock
        PROJECTS:
        '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
        '77 GS550 740cc major mods
        '77 GS400 489cc racer build
        '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
        X