Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any special tools needed to change the base gasket? got any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any special tools needed to change the base gasket? got any tips?

Im going to go ahead and attempt to change my base gasket which is leaking oil. I have the basic tools wrenches, sockets, drivers etc but is there any special tools im going to need? I know im going to have to take the engine apart which i have never done before, amyone got any tips?

Plug the spaces in the top of the crankcase as soon as you remove the barrels.

Be careful when removing old gasket remnants - you don't want to damage the mating surfaces.

A torque wrench will be needed when you put it back together. Maybe a ring compressor.

Does your engine have o-rings around the corner studs?
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Clean the exterior of the motor very well first - pressure wash followed by high pressure blow dry is good. Last thing you want is exterior dirt falling in.

Comment

When you lift the cylinders up, rust and dirt from around the four center cylinder studs will fall into the engine. Unless it's a garage queen with zero miles there is loose stuff down in there. You can't clean it out until the cylinders have been removed, by then all that crud is down around the crankshaft.

I would take the engine out, set it on it's front so the dirt doesn't fall in before separating the cylinders.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
        X