Is my starter clutch toast?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my starter clutch toast?!

So I finally got around to buying the starter clutch puller and removed the entire assembly for inspection this weekend.

Apparently, all three (stator-retaining?) bolts in the assembly have sheared!

Luckily, I was able to order three new ones no problem and I'm relatively confident that my buddy down the street can help me remove the stuck bolts from the stator with the help of a few PBRs.

That being said, I'm more worried about the assembly itself. Specifically, I'm seeing stress cracking around each of the roller pin orifices (orifi?) in the assembly. This picture in particular is the worst of the three (see below)...

I should also mention that on the other side of that hole I can feel a deformation on the outer rim of the assembly. Here is another photo of the assembly gear with visible deformations from the rollers slamming into place...

When I put all of it back together and reassemble over the gear, the rollers appear to function normally. They roll smoothly in one direction and lock in the other, but it's obviously catching under normal operation.

I spent most of the afternoon today at the dealers and they tried to order me another assembly. Unfortunately, this part is discontinued and none are in dealer stock. They did suggest having a machinist take a stab as repairing the surfaces, but otherwise recommended me to a salvage yard or trying my luck on ebay.

Then I rode down and spoke with another somewhat well-know vintage bike mechanic and he said more or less the same thing with regards to replacing. He even suggested purchasing another salvage engine.

So that's me at the moment. Should I reinstall the stator-retaining bolts, button it back up and call it a day? Try the machinist? Or what?

As always, any feedback/experience/guidance is much appreciated!

Oh and then there's also the scary point that one of the second mechanics I talked to brought up (because none of them had ever seen anything like it), "...I wonder if you hydro-locked the motor..." followed by "...what in the world could have caused this?..."

it's caused by the broken bolts

you need to replace everything at this point, bearings, gear, clutch housing, rollers, springs and bolts

Vmass had a clutch housing for sale- check his for sale thread and see if it fits your bike
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I sheared my bolts last month. Just cleaned everything up and replaced the bolts only. Working fine.

Comment

REALLY need year and make................
        if this is an 80-82 1100 16v. i may be able to help.
        let me know...

Comment

Originally posted by RGM View Post
          I sheared my bolts last month. Just cleaned everything up and replaced the bolts only. Working fine.
          his plunger holes are cracked...assembly is junk.
          was yours?

Comment

REALLY need year and make................
            if this is an 80-82 1100 16v. i may be able to help.
            let me know...
            Oh jeez, I forgot!

I have a 1980 Suzuki GS1000G, so no luck there I suppose. I'll try Vmass but was his an 80?

I also found this on ebay ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GS100...a179fd&vxp=mtr

The part number is for a 49810. My manual calls for 49830, but the assembly housing looks just like mine.

Would this work?

Comment

they all look the same but there was some bas tard pattern(SC bolt pattern) out there...you may have one of those...not sure.

Comment

maybe steve might know..
                i sold a SC assembly to a guy a few years ago and the pattern was wrong.
                he either had a 1000G or an 1100G...his pattern was smaller than the 1100 16v. stuff i have.
                the one on ebay IMO is not correct for your model..need someone with hands on for your particular year and model....no guessing....just facts.

Comment

I checked Vmass's thread as you suggested and it appears that he still has the starter assembly housing still available. It's for a 78 though.

Will this fit? It looks like it will but I can't find the 78 part number for it. I may just buy it and give it a shot.

Comment

The 1980 Gs1000G starter clutch part# number is 12600-49830 the part number on the one on Ebay is 12600-49810. Something is different.

Comment

Yeah I noticed that too. This is probably biased wishful thinking on my part, but the 49830 is for a complete set. Could this be the difference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400738294945?lpid=82

I found this one with a 49811 part number for $20. If Vmass doesn't have one, I may try this out and give it a shot.

Comment

I checked both the Part# and they are for the whole S/C assembly. That would mean that the 12600-49811 wouldn't work either I believe. Someone with a bit more knowledge should be checking in.
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2014, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Just an opinion. I broke 4 sets of sc bolts on my 1327 motor. The clutch is beat bad. Bought new bolts and had the thing welded in important spots. No issues since. If you can't find one to replace yours, I will take pics of mine. Or maybe ask Ray to send you a pic...
                          Curt
                          sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Do starter clutches give notice of impending failure or just quit all at once? Obviously sheared bolts would be an abrupt happening but what about the hub and roller wear? My starter was working fine then this afternoon it made a noise that if it was on a car would make me think the bendix was out. Never would engage with multiple attempts and also rocking the bike enough to move the engine internals.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2014, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Just an opinion. I broke 4 sets of sc bolts on my 1327 motor. The clutch is beat bad. Bought new bolts and had the thing welded in important spots. No issues since. If you can't find one to replace yours, I will take pics of mine. Or maybe ask Ray to send you a pic...
                              Curt
                              That's encouraging! Could you elaborate on the welds? And did you experience stress cracking as severe as what I've shown in my photos?

Comment

Working...
                              X