Picking out the right chain and sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking out the right chain and sprockets

I'm wondering what pros and cons there is to buying a cheap o-ring chain and sprocket set vs a more expensive. It seems like the range of prices is crazy. I found an o-ring chain with sprockets for my 650E for $100 but I'm hesitant to buy because of how cheap it seems. It looks like I can find a decent value x-ring chain and sprockets from Z1 for about $115.

I guess the question is, how much should I spend on a chain and sprockets? I'm not made of money

You can never go wrong buying a good quality product, spending less now could cost more later, a good rule of thumb that applies to more than just motorcycles.
    You don't have to go to the extreme high end but don't got to the bottom either.
    Just my opinion, I'm sure others will have theirs.

Comment

So that brings me to my next question then, because I don't want to buy a no name brand, what are the best brands to choose from?

Comment

Originally posted by huntb View Post
        So that brings me to my next question then, because I don't want to buy a no name brand, what are the best brands to choose from?
        You go that route, all you are going to do is end up is paying more(by replacing it more often) for something that isn't going to last. Just doesn't make any sense. You buy cheap you get cheap and lose lots of riding time inbetween. A good name brand 530 set up isn't that expensive and well last you thousands of miles when maintained properly. The x ring chain and sprockets from Z1 at that price is pretty damn good.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I was almost thinking that $115 sounded cheap for an x-ring chain and sprockets... but that's probably what I'll end up getting

Comment

Z1 has great customer service and tends to sell quality kit. I wouldn't hestitate to buy chain and sprockets from them.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I got out my Z1 invoice to see what exactly I paid for my 530 set up. Here is it for ya. JT Front sprocket 18T $13.90, JT Rear sprocket 49T $37.64, RK xring 120 link chain $114.73, 6mm spacer $3.32 and 3 spare master links $5.01 for a grand total of $174.60 + $9.00 shipping. Money well spent. I stayed as close as to the stock ratio as I could. Stock (630 set up) was 2.733 41/15 With the conversion I ended up with a 2.722 49/18
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I would think any O ring chain would be better than stock was. I may be wrong.

Comment

No not really, alot of the OEM oring chains were name brand. Mine came with a D.I.D oring chain new. Then again the old style O ring is old technology now, with the better X rings.
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

If you take your time and shop smart, you can find some good deals on chains on ebay or amazon. Target some of the value oriented X-ring models and start searching. I've bought several for good prices.

Last edited by Nessism; 07-26-2014, 02:38 PM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The last chain I got was a 530 RK X-ring chain from Z1. I have been using the Du Pont Teflon multipurpose spray lube. I spray it on a warm chain, wipe it off with a rag, ready for riding again. The chain has better than 25,000 miles on it, looks brand new and is just now beginning to show a little wear. If I get a chance to ride a lot this summer, it will be ready for a new one this fall.
                      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                      X