Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

starter clutch ( not magnet ) interchange ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter clutch ( not magnet ) interchange ?

My 1982 GS1100G starter began to freewheel. I suspected the 3 bolts attaching the starter clutch had sheared. I got a rebuild kit and some new 12.9 grade 8mm x 16mm Allen bolts. When I got it apart ( which was painless with an impact gun and a 35mm puller ), I found that the sheet metal surrounding the machined portion of the starter clutch had deformed and was punctured in three places where the roller/pin/spring assemblies are located. Because the pins were jammed, they could not contact the rollers, and the starter would freewheel.

It appears that while the entire starter clutch assembly ( starter clutch and magnet ) may vary by engine size and model, the actual starter clutch ( the part held on with three Allen bolts ) looks to be the same for a GS425 and a GS1100.

It appears the critical measurements are the distance between the bolt centers and the diameter of the hole in the center of the starter clutch. I measured about 2.46 inches ( 62.48 mm) between bolt centers and the diameter is about 1.943 inches ( 49.3 mm).

Has anyone tried interchanging the starter clutch between models?

I don't want to deal with the balancing issues of welding the starter clutch sheet metal, so a new starter clutch will be needed.

Interchangeability would provide many more units to select from.

there is no balancing issues but you very well may have a bas dard sized starter clutch.
    no 450 will ever fit...1100 16 valve maybe depending,
    you did right by taking the measurements...the bolt pattern and the hole size is the only difference.

Comment

read this:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...-clutch-toast-!

Comment

The part number cross-reference says that the only bike that uses that particular starter clutch is the '82 and '83 1100G and GL.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X