throttle cable replacement procedure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

throttle cable replacement procedure?

someone please tell me what is involved in changing the throttle cable? it almost looks like I have to tape the carburetors off please tell me I don't. Airbox too?

So far

Seat off
    Tank off
    Confused look on face

Thank you

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
    someone please tell me what is involved in changing the throttle cable? it almost looks like I have to tape the carburetors off please tell me I don't. Airbox too?

So far

Seat off
    Tank off
    Confused look on face

Thank you
    What bike?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

pro tip of the day: are you ready for this? Pull the throttle assy on an outside carb with another hand so that the throttle cable holder will rotate up and you can actually see the darn thing.

Comment

GS1100E, I should have left my signature

Comment

[QUOTE=littleroot;2092101]GS1100E, I should have left my signature[/QU

Lol. Well sounds like you figured it out. It's a pain though yeah, you have to rotate the throttle shaft up so you can see the slot where the cable goes in. I usually take a stiff wire and wire it up so I can manipulate that sucker in there. As far as the routing goes, from the grip it slides in behind the headlite housing then continues along the inside the right upper tube to the carbs, Slip it in the throttle shaft slot first then set the screw adjustment into the cable holder. Then adjust the cable, you want to see a wee bit of slack at the carbs. Use zip ties though not tight to secure the cable along the tube so it doesn't flop around. Start the bike and turn the handle bars lock to lock to make sure the rpms don't come up in a turn, if it does you need a bit more slack in cable at the carbs. Use the adjustment at the grip to fine tune it. That should do it.
          Last edited by mrbill5491; 07-26-2014, 02:05 PM.
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Hmm I think the only part I missed is the set screw. Old cable came out with just a jiggle. Crap, tank coming off again.

Thanks

Comment

Hmm I think the only part I missed is the set screw. Old cable came out with just a jiggle. Crap, tank coming off again.

Thanks

Yeah there is forked bracket where the adjustment part of the cable goes, there are two set nuts, I called it a screw. You set the initial slack there, when you open the throttle you should see a little slack before it tightens up. Set the nuts where you see the slack, tighten the nuts up and do the handle bar test. Adjust as needed and or fine tune it at the adjustment at the throttle grip.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Hmm I think the only part I missed is the set screw. Old cable came out with just a jiggle. Double hmmmm: I don't see it in service manual.

Thanks

Comment

Hmm I think the only part I missed is the set screw. Old cable came out with just a jiggle. Double hmmmm: I don't see it in service manual.

Thanks
                  Yeah has to be two nuts there, they have to be on each side of the bracket, they set the slack and lock each other together, If not you would never be able to adjust your cable. There is a pic of it in the manual, kind of hard to see, though shows the cable bracket and the two nuts. The bracket itself attaches to the #3 carb at the top and left of the cover. Then you see the cable coming down to it and inserted in the forked slot, then one nut on top and one on the bottom. The pic is in the carb removal section.
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                  X