Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E Starter/starter clutch problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100E Starter/starter clutch problem?

Ill start by describing the situation. I ride it almost every day, keep it topped with oil. I drove to work in the morning, everything operational and nothing standing out of the norm. At the end of the day, i went to start it to head home and it sounded as if my starter was free spinning. i wrote it off as a bad starter, even though it had started perfectly the last two years with no signs of issue. after ridding down a hill and roll starting, while driving, it felt like something internal was catching and preparing to seize. like the bike wanted to lock up while riding but everything else felt normal. good power, no squeeking in between. it also varied with engine speed but wasnt happening with every rotation. it felt like debris may have been catching somewhere in its guts. i had the bike put on a trailer after riding a mile and taken back to my garage. Im wondering where i should start. This is not making me happy.

I do have the shop manual and i pulled the stator/starter cover and there wasnt any apparent debris. the started also spun fine when bench tested.

where should i go next?
    Thank you

Originally posted by Cyclopsic View Post
    i pulled the stator/starter cover and there wasnt any apparent debris.
    I woulda bet a dollar that the crankshaft nut was loose. The big nut, under the stator cover, holding the starter clutch tight on the crank taper. Did you check that ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

And sheered the starter clutch bolts. That's what makes it feel like it's going to lock up.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
      X