missing clutch parts? 83 750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

missing clutch parts? 83 750E

OK folks, I finally have exhausted the search function and I have to post a question. My 83 750E doesn’t seem to have items #14 SEAT, #15 RING, #16 WAVE WASHER, in the parts diagram, I’m wondering, are these parts necessary for smooth operation of the clutch? I just recently pulled the hub (# 18 in diag) to check for spring rattle, It has plenty of rattle but no displacement of springs or backing plate. I’ve been battling clutch issues since I removed it. The bike starts and runs fine until it gets warmed up then the clutch just goes away. I can pull the Lever all the way to the grip and still no disengagement. When I slow to a stop the engine dies and I have to push the bike to get it started then shift w/o clutch to get it home. The clutch still feels like it should, with the same engagement and resistance to being pulled. I’ve adjusted the clutch throw, checked fibers and steels, checked for plate wear on the outer hub, torqued the nut (#5 on diag) to factory spec, and checked spring height and torqued the bolts ( # 12 ) to factory spec. I’m about out of ideas. I tried to cover all of the bonehead solutions before posting but I may have missed something. I read something on this forum about clearance problems when the hub nut ( #5) is re torqued but I can’t find the thread. The hub nut was loose when I removed the hub the first time and only the bent washer was holding it from coming completely off. How would a guy check for thrust clearance between the hub bearing and the two washers #2 and #7 when the hub is torqued properly, any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any insight you all might have.
    clutch.jpgfirst time posting an image. hope it is readable

P.S. the clutch worked fine before I tore it down, just real noisy.

When you put the primary driven gear back in did you make sure you lined up the pin[#18] with the oil pump gear? As far as the parts# 14,15and 16 does the bike have a stock or a after market clutch in it ? some after market kits called for those to be removed. Don't remember which ones though.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Hey hjfisk, thanks for replying to my post. I am the 3rd owner and I don't have a great history on the bike so I'm not 100% positive that the clutch is aftermarket, but I would imagine it has got to be. 50k on the bike and no sign of the spring and clip. One thing I noticed is that the basket is completely full of fibers and steels. There wouldn't be room for the extra parts unless I removed a couple, so it makes sense that it is aftermarket and intended to be missing the spring and clip. I had a tough time aligning the oil pump drive gear when I reinstalled the basket, but I'm pretty sure that I got it seated correctly. I'll check to be sure ASAP. Would the oil pump turn if that gear was out of place? Thanks again for replying

Comment

The oil pump will probably turn but the clutch won't release. You should be able to turn the center hub after its tightened down.

Comment

Checking tomorrow. I appreciate the responses, I'll let you folks know what I find. Interesting that I should be able to turn the hub. I'll check it cold and warm and get back with results

Comment

So I finally got into the clutch today. It seems that my oil pump drive gear is located correctly. I rechecked everything and it all looks like it should work. I pulled the clutch apart and sure enough, I can turn the center hub. I took it out for a quick ride and the bike seems to be clutching fine. I didn't pull the cover and clutch while it was warm to check for binding on the center hub because the everything seems to be working right now. I hope to put a few hundred miles on it in the next month and I'll reply to the same thread if I run into any problems. I'm clueless as to why it is working now and not the last three times I put it together so I'm not real confident that it's fixed. time will tell. Thanks rwneilson and hjfisk for your input

Comment

Working...
            X