clutch actuation arm won't engage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch actuation arm won't engage

So while troubleshooting a clutch problem I decided to do the clutch cable adjustment procedure. I've been riding the bike all week, but it's been difficult to shift so that's when I decided to do the clutch cable adjustment procedure. I never removed any covers, all I did was remove the clutch actuation arm off the gear, put it back on and started the adjustment. I turned the shaft gear counterclockwise and clockwise and did the adjustment both ways, but no matter what I do the clutch handle goes straight to the grip with no tension. If I try to start the bike it jumps like the clutch is in gear. What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2014, 10:43 PM.

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
    So while troubleshooting a clutch problem I decided to do the clutch cable adjustment procedure. I've been riding the bike all week, but it's been difficult to shift so that's when I decided to do the clutch cable adjustment procedure. I never removed any covers, all I did was remove the clutch actuation arm off the gear, put it back on and started the adjustment. I turned the shaft gear counterclockwise and clockwise and did the adjustment both ways, but no matter what I do the clutch handle goes straight to the grip with no tension. If I try to start the bike it jumps like the clutch is in gear. What am I doing wrong?

First pull the pin that ties the cable to the arm, push the actuation arm in until you feel it just as it engages and stop, where is the arm relative to the clutch case cover? Take a pic and show us.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I've been doing that, but with the cable attached. I'm rotated the pivot gear all the way counter clockwise, then attached the arm and started adjusting. The problem is no matter what I do the clutch handle goes all the way to the grip with no tension. When I start the bike it acts as if the clutch isn't pulled in. I even removed the arm all together and tried twisting the gear and start the bike and it tries to go with it rotated all the way to the left or right. I started with the arm parallel with the engine with the gear all the way counterclockwise when I attach the arm then start adjusting. Could something inside came loose even though all I did was pull the cable? When you say push the arm in, do you mean push down on the gear? All I've been doing is pushing the arm over the gear if that's what you mean.
      arm.jpg
      Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2014, 09:39 AM.

Comment

You need to turn the arm Counter Clock wise till it looks like mine in the image below. This is where is stops because it is starting to engage the clutch. The clutch cable will then pull it in and disengage the clutch.

Clutch_zps818242d0.jpg

Comment

That's how I had it originally, but the clutch level at the handle still feels extremely loose like there is no tension or anything from the shaft the arm is attached to. I've adjusted it again, but to get it start like that I have to basically screw in the hollow screw almost all the way if that's ok. It's still doing the same thing, if I try to start it thinks I'm in first and tries to go.
          arm2.jpg

Comment

I noticed in your picture that you don't have the bolt on the lever in and tightened. If the bolts not in and tight it wont work.

Comment

I just happen to have it out on that picture, but I've since attached it and there's no difference. I can see the shaft clearly move and move all the way from the starting position (counterclockwise) to clockwise, but there's still no tension at the handle. Do I need to do anything after adjusting like start the bike? I'm very puzzled because at rest the lever is parallel with the engine, I pull the lever and I see good motion from the lever, but it's like it makes no difference.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2014, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Take the lever off and rotate the shaft clockwise till you feel it stop. Then attach the lever back on in the position like mine.

Comment

That was my problem, I was turning it counterclock wise, then attaching it. I did what you said and now I feel the tension in the clutch lever. So it's back to normal now except it slightly pulls when I have the clutch pulled in. The cable is turned all the way in at the bottom with the lever on the furthest teeth on the shaft clockwise so not sure I can do anything about that.

Comment

You need to adjust your clutch cable. Do a search and you should find instructions that will guide you better then I can on the proper adjustment. You may need to move the lever in towered the engine 1 or 2 notches. You should have about 1/8 inch of freeplay at the clutch lever.

Comment

Go to this site and download a manual for your bike. It will have the proper instructions for adjusting your clutch cable
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Since the main hurdle is done, I'll now start with the adjustment. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
                          Since the main hurdle is done, I'll now start with the adjustment. Thanks for the help!

Is your clutch cable an OEM one? If it is, there are 3 adjustments on it, down at the arm, in the middle (you'll see a threaded sleeve and lock nuts) and at the clutch lever. You only use the adjustment at the lever to fine tune it.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I finally got the clutch adjustment done without the bike pulling. I was hoping this would solve my problem with the hard shifting at the foot lever, but it's still tough so it might be something inside.

Comment

Originally posted by zuzu View Post
                              Take the lever off and rotate the shaft clockwise till you feel it stop. Then attach the lever back on in the position like mine.
                              FYI, if your actuation arm points forward you need to rotate the shaft counter-clockwise to take up all the slop and then put the arm on facing forward. Maybe 'E"s face rearward and "G"s face forward, not sure. Guess it depends on the cable routing.
                              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                              1983 GS 1100 G
                              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                              X