Unexpected Engine Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected Engine Noise

I was on my way home from work this evening, bike was running great. I pulled over at the gas station for a quick break. (40 mile ride one way) After I had left and was on the highway again i thought I had left something on my seat forgetting to put it back in my pocket. I pulled over, found it in my pocket and proceeded to get back on highway. Speed limit is 65 mph, so since I had done all sorts of maintenance and she was running great and had her power back I decided to give it to her. She took off like a bat out of hell! It was wonderful! Got to town bike sounded normal. Was taking a left turn in right turn lane of a double turn, car next to me decided half way through to continue his turn in my lane. I saw him coming and got out of the way. Leaving the next light is when i noticed the noises. I didn't jolt or jerk the bike at all. Simply braked without any wheel lock up. There is no performance issues, runs the same but I now have a LOT of engine noise that I NEVER had before. Its coming from the top end. Seems like left side of motor. Its a very loud tapping. Like an industrial sewing machine. Also the exhaust seems louder on left side now but not at the muffler, at the header its self. But not a rumble like there is a hole or a pipe came loose, sounds like you can hear more exhaust "air" leaving leaving the motor. What happened?????!!!!!!

Before its asked...valves are in spec (done last month, one was tight. EX #2), carbs are cleaned and vacuum synced, new intake boots and o-rings and exhaust port gaskets
    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2014, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Left side is starter clutch, right side clutch basket. Clutch basket is probably a deeper knock .

Comment

".....like an industrial sewing machine"
        I'd start by removing cam cover- tapping suggests bucket/shim problem.
        your exhaust might have loosened up under hard braking.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          ".....like an industrial sewing machine"
          I'd start by removing cam cover- tapping suggests bucket/shim problem.
          your exhaust might have loosened up under hard braking.
          It would be a good easy start as to where to look.
          Check entire exhaust though and not just at headers.
          I am pretty sure that is what Tom is implying.
          It could come apart at bottom and effect more noticed at headers.
          Give the whole thing a good tug in various areas.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I work 6 days a week so for now she sits until I can find some time to tear back into her. EX #2 was TIGHT +4, could I have finally worked off all that carbon build up on the valve, and the sound I'm hearing is the valve just seating(louder than the others for some reason)?

Comment

Working...
            X