One maybe 2 cylinders not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One maybe 2 cylinders not working

I have a '81 gs1000 that I just got. I can run the engine but it is rough and sluggish. The exhaust from number one is cold. 2,3 are hot and 4 is warm after 20-30 seconds of running. I have changed all spark plugs and have tested number 1 by pulling it out and seeing the spark. I don't think it's the ignition coil. It seems to me to be little to no fuel in 1. Any one have any better ideas on where to start narrowing my search for the problem.

Do you have any history on the bike and... Factory air cleaner or pods?

Comment

If you are certain it has spark, then you probably need to clean the carbs.

However, problems with 1 and 4 simultaneously ring a few alarm bells as they share the same coil.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

It does have pods on and does run a little rich. i just don't see why pods would make a difference to 2 cylinders and not all 4. i think i am going to pull the carbs out and clean them up and go from there unless you have any better ideas. Where can i get new coils if i choose to replace them?

Comment

Please read the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature. It will teach you a thing or two about GS's and what to do to avoid common missteps from those not familiar with maintaining a 33 year old motorcycle.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Trinnypig View Post
            ... i just don't see why pods would make a difference to 2 cylinders and not all 4. ...
            You are right, pods have nothing to do with 2 cyl vs all 4, but since you have not given many details, we are forced to ask some of the usual questions. The use of pods will require different jetting than a stock airbox. While on-topic, ... you have stock exhaust or a header? Again, different jetting. You help us by telling us what you have, we can help you with better suggestions.

Since you have just gotten the bike, you really have no idea of its recent history. If it has been parked for a while, your cold cylinder issues could very easily be due to dirty carbs. Observing the presence/absence of spark on 1 and 4 will help confirm that.

Nessism suggested reading (and following) the "Top Newbie Mistakes" article that is linked in his thread. ALL of those items are important. Even if the previous owner claimed that something was done, VERIFY. You will also note in his signature a very good quote: "To measure is to know." "Measuring" does not necessarily mean that you need to know the size. It can also be interpreted as "observe and verify". If the owner claimed 'new tires', you can "measure" them by observing tread depth and date code.

You mentioned you are going to pull the carbs to clean them. Be prepared. It is not as simple as dropping the float bowls and spritzing some spray in there. Also in Nessism's signature, you will find the best how-to guide for cleaning your carbs. It is a detailed process that will span several days, as well as the purchase of some parts, supplies and tools. If you look over the guide and feel that you might not be up to the task, there are a few of us (including me ) that offer a carb rebuilding service for your convenience.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Clean and sync your carbs

Comment

Easiest thing to do is swap coils with each other and see if the trouble transfers to the 2-3 cylinders. It won't cost a dime and will confirm or rule out a coil, which is a major suspect.

Comment

The senior members on this site focus on the carb cleaning process for good reason. I have only been on here for a few months but found their advice to be exactly correct. Until you know that every orifice and passageway in your carbs is squeaky clean, you are just wasting your time looking at other causes.
                  sigpic
                  1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                  1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                  1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                  On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                  All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

And conversely, the best carbs aren't worth a damn if the fire ain't there. Start on either end. It's faster and cheaper to find out if it's firing right.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                      And conversely, the best carbs aren't worth a damn if the fire ain't there. Start on either end. It's faster and cheaper to find out if it's firing right.
                      Easily confirmed by pulling the spark plugs, re-connecting the wire and laying the plug on the head, then cranking the engine to see if there is spark. And, ... he said in the original post that he had already done that.

Definitely the quicker route, but he'll end up cleaning the carbs anyway.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X