picking up a 78 GS1000E with engine prolems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

picking up a 78 GS1000E with engine prolems

Moving on to my next project, a 1978 GS1000E that seems to have some sort of engine problem. I have not seen the bike yet but I purchased it from a friend who wanted to rebuild it but does not have the skills and or the time. He told me that the engine turns over but will not go all the way around. The bike has sat for a long time. It is a "Skunk" or at least it has a skunk tank and I want to put it back together stock. I am guessing that it might have a broken vavle stem or perhaps just a stuck valve. Does this sound resonable to you guys? I have never had to pull a head off a Suzuki so this will be a learning experience for me. If it is a valve problem can I just replace the valve or should I replace them all along with new guides, springs and vavles? Since I will be pulling the head off anyway I will be refreshing the gaskets and cleaning up the engine witha new coat of paint or powdercoating. Has anyone had their engine powdercoated? If coating it is a bad idea does anyone know of a good quality cylinder paint that is not affected by fuel and oil. I would hate to do all that work and then have the paint peel off of you spill a drop of gas on it.

On another note I also picked up another 80 GS1000E but it has no title. If need be can I swap the 80 engine in the 78 frame? The 80 came with the complete Vetter set up. It even has the fairing lowers.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2014, 12:07 PM.

I could be as simple as a valve stuck open from sitting a long time. Get it, pull the head and see what's up. No sense guessing until you can actually touch and feel the thing. Roll any possibilities around in your head until you get it, sure.

The '80's used CV carbs. Probably have an issue with the carb tops hitting the petcock.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I figured I might have an issue with the pet cock but I was wondering if the engine mounts changed any from the older ones to the newer GS's, otherwise it should be a simple swap. The 850 and 1000 shaft engines were 95% identical. Only needing a few washers to shim the upper rear mount.

Comment

Did someone say, "Skunk"?

May we see some photos?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Are they E model 1000's? or shaft drive 850G or 1100G's?

I have never heard of a shaft drive gs1000... but if it was shaft drive I believe it would be a G model.
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            Did someone say, "Skunk"?

May we see some photos?
            A running "skunk" LMAO...sorry just had too.skunk.jpg
            Sitting here at work bored to tears.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
              Are they E model 1000's? or shaft drive 850G or 1100G's?

I have never heard of a shaft drive gs1000... but if it was shaft drive I believe it would be a G model.
              1000G - '79 through '82 inclusive
              1000GL - '79 through '81 (according to BassCliff's chart)
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The E's are both chain drive, the engine swap I did was a GS850 frame and I put a GS1000G engine in it. Fit great with minimal problems. I just don't know if the older 1000's and the newer 1000's have the same mounts.
                I don't have pictures of either bike yet, I am trying to find time to drive the 80 miles down to where it is to pick it up. The 80 is closer but I dont have room for that one yet. I have 2 other suzuki projects I need to get back to their owners before I can bring mine home. I did ask my friend to make sure it has the indent in the side of the tank and he assures me it does. It also has spoke wheels.
                Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2014, 09:15 PM.

Comment

It's a 1978 GS1000 'C' (base) model.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

So because it is a C model should I expect less performance. I am going to assume the engine on this bike is the same as other GS's

Comment

no.....its the configuration and not the engine or carbs that makes the model differences. Cs have wire rims and single front discs. Es have mags and dual discs. Cs have either the maroon / orange or the blue / light blue colors. Es had the black / white colors. Cs had manual cancel signals and Es had self cancelling signals.

Same bike with different configs.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X