changed oil and now clutch works MUCH better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changed oil and now clutch works MUCH better

Was negligent and drove about 1,000 miles on oil that was in the bike when I bought it. Had been sitting for several years before the purchase.

The clutch would drag a lot until the engine and the oil was fully warmed up. I changed the oil and filter. Now there seems to be no clutch drag even when it was first started up.

While I'm at it, what is the current thinking on this forum regarding camlobe and lifter damage in the GS's, when using newer oil lacking in zinc disulphide ?

Ah, this week's oil thread.

While I'm at it, what is the current thinking on this forum regarding camlobe and lifter damage in the GS's, when using newer oil lacking in zinc disulphide ?
    You have an 8-valve 850, it would probably run across the country and back if you accidentally filled it with water instead.[1]

The current thinking is to use a motorcycle-specific oil or a diesel automotive oil which is known to be suitable for wet clutch applications.

--

1. Disclaimer: that was a joke, I do not advise anyone to actually put water in their engine.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Blinking innocently and trying hard to not laugh too much. Thank you Charles for your wisdom. It helps to know I am not likely to ruin a perfectly good engine anytime soon. Especially considering the way I drive motorcycles. "Little old lady" style to be sure.

Comment

I always find my clutch is a lot better after an oil change. Tranny shifts nicer too.
        Not much of an issue but its noticeable.

Comment

It helps to know I am not likely to ruin a perfectly good engine anytime soon. Especially considering the way I drive motorcycles. "Little old lady" style to be sure.
          What are you using? We'll tell you if what you have is any good or not. As long as it's the proper weight and is recommended for motorcycles or happens to be Rotella T, it should be good.

Don't be afraid to open up the throttle a bit now and again. When I started riding my 850 I tended to keep the RPMs low most of the time because I figured that was being easier on it than hooning around like a sportbiker with the throttle pinned all day. But it turns out that these bikes love life at 5k plus and reward their riders with better performance, fuel efficiency, rideability, and fun.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Comment

Chevron oil, Delo 400 SynBlend-XLE 10W-30. Noticed a leak today from the oil filter cover. Knew I should have gotten a new rubber gasket before changing the oil filter !!!

Comment

Ah, well, glad I asked. Not sure if that is the right kind...

The owners manual says to use 10W-40, but also has a chart showing that 10W-30 is acceptable up to an ambient temperature of about 30 degrees C (86 degrees F). Not sure how valid this is in light of modern oil formulas, however.

What made you pick Delo? It is a diesel oil, but not all diesel oils are suitable for wet clutches. In particular, the googles are showing me that this particular formula touts greater fuel efficiency, which probably means friction modifiers, which probably means bad for your clutch. I put Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 into my 850 on its first oil change, which apparently used to be a good motorcycle oil until they changed the formula for it a few years ago. Didn't harm the bike at all, but I changed it out for Shell Rotella T at the next service interval just to be safe.

I would say as long as your clutch doesn't start slipping, you might be fine to keep that oil in there until the next change. Of course if the clutch does start slipping, it may be too late... I don't know to what degree you can "fix" a clutch that gets embedded with bad stuff.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Comment

I'd rather use 15W-40 than 10W-30. The later is too thin. Shell Rotella is the forum favorite, but just about any diesel oil is fine.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by tirebiter View Post
                  Especially considering the way I drive motorcycles. "Little old lady" style to be sure.
                  Yeah that's not good for it. Wind it out.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                    What made you pick Delo?.
                    eil , Since you asked ... I picked the Chevron oil, Delo 400 SynBlend-XLE 10W-30, for two reasons. Main reason was Walmart had it on sale - $21 for a gallon jug. Secondarily It has 1200 ppm ZDDP.

I have a used clutch setup that I bought prior to changing the oil. I was thinking I had warped plates. If the Delo ruins the clutch friction material, I will need to put the used clutch in and choose another oil, obviously.

Willing to take the risk of clutch slippage but so far it seems fine. Full throttle up to about 85 in 5th and no slippage. I'm not likely to use full throttle in 1-4 ... EVER !!! I don't think I have ever opened the throttle much more than 1/4 anytime while using the bike for transportation. During test drives to be sure but never needed the extra oomph, while going anywhere in particular - even when I've been in a hurry. Like I said, I drive my 850 like a little old lady, with a VERY light right hand. Once I'm satisfied I have the best jetting possible, I'll give it a couple of clutch torture tests to see if I can make it slip.

Got my ya-ya's out years ago behind the wheel of numerous cars in sanctioned competition. The bike is my commuter for ease of parking and good fuel economy. Granted, It's a lttle early to say since it's only been about a month maybe, but so far "Little Suzy" has been serving me very well. She sees 4000-5000 RPM in top gear during just about every outing. Between 2500 to 3500 in most of the lower gears.

Comment

I have used the Delco several times on a couple of bikes without any slippage.

Comment

Working...
                      X