Busted chain broke something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busted chain broke something

So the other day, while loving life riding down the highway, doing about 60, I am about to pass a moving van and heard a *pop bang* by my left foot and instantly lost power to my rear tire. Well confused and worried, I look down and don't see anything, so I look back and my chain is skidding across the asphalt. At this point, I realize this isn't going to be fun. I pull it over and a small lake of oil is starting to form under my bike. I load it in a pick up, take it home, take off the cover, scared to death I cracked my case, realize the broken chain had bent a rod and bent what looks to be a washer with a rubber gasket under it. Thats the only damage I see, anyone know what this is? Or how hard it is to replace? Or how crucial that bent rod is to the engine? Here are some pictures....image.jpg

image.jpgThats a close up

Comment

Is it my tired eyes or did you not post with the model specific inormation about your bike?

No matter it appears you have damaged the push rod and probably the seal if not more.

The rod for some of these bikes is no longer available from the OEM so that could be a PITA to fix. The seal is probably still available but One would need to know the model etc.

You are quite lucky not to have been injured or killed so do not feel too bad about this setback.

Comment

Looking at that bike, I feel like a gaper at an accident scene. Your bike is bleeding.

No guess on the source of the oil; I hope it's as simple as that seal and the pushrod.

Glad you're still in one piece.

RB
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Can we get you to check the chain and measure the stretch?
          How many links were removed?
          It would take a lot to break a modern chain.

Comment

Yea my bad, 1981 GS550L. that rod and the seal are the only things that look damaged. are they hard to replace? and are they expensive. I talked to my ins agent and he said the chain would not be covered, but since the chain breaking and flying off the sprocket and breaking other parts, it is technically classified as a "flying object" so getting it fixed would be covered by the ins. as long as I pay $100 for comprehensive damages. so would it be easier for my insurance to cover it or should I just do this myself?

Comment

the chain broke from loss of maintenance by the rider....yes im an idiot and forgot to oil it and getting caught in the rain a time or two didnt help. it busted at the masterlink. a lesson ill never forget now. i realize how bad this could have ended.

Comment

I don't think it busted the master link, rather the master link wasn't installed right. That is an o-ring chain?
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

is the push rod which appears to be available at 34.50 from Alpha-Sports

Check this link and look at the microfiche to ID the parts you need.
                  you will need parts 21-23 I should think

Alpha sprts is overly pricey use a different vendor like Parts Outlaw instead. I use the Alpha-SPorts fiche due to ease of use then buy elsewhere.

Comment

The seal is only $5 at Parts Outlaw; rod isn't available anymore
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Pushrod is a replacement at alpha sports
                      should work but does it?
                      Hit up ebay or some members on here may part with one.

Comment

thank you all. what does that pushrod do?

Comment

It pushes the inner clutch basket the the right of the bike thus separating the plates and disengaging the clutch.
                          You can get a good idea by tracing its path in the fiche.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                            It pushes the inner clutch basket the the right of the bike thus separating the plates and disengaging the clutch.
                            You can get a good idea by tracing its path in the fiche.
                            is it easy to replace? I mean I have a fairly decent amt of wrenching background, there a write up anywhere

Comment

Get an impact driver, a big hammer, and start taking the covers off. It ain't rocket science. If you have done wrenching before have at it. Download the service manual from Cliff's site and read up.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X