Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I tell if my clutch is working?

Hello,

I just got my bike up an running for the first time in the past five years of it's life. It rides decent, still working on that, but I was wondering something. It could just be that I'm not familiar with this bike but I can't really tell or feel the difference between shifting with or without the clutch when I'm already going. Is there any way I can test to see if the clutch is actually doing its job?

Testing the clutch is more along the lines of, is it functioning properly? If it's not slipping or dragging, then it's more or less working properly.

In your case, does shifting while disengaging the clutch feel clunky (could be dragging)? Does hard acceleration cause the motor to rev without speed increasing (slipping)?

For my part, clutchless shifting on the 650G is silky, and I also have zero slip or drag. I imagine your 850 is going to perform in a similar vein if the transmission is in good nick.

A little bit of creep is normal when the engine is cold, before the oil heats up, so you can't really take that as a sign of clutch drag.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
    X