Bolt size question.............help !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt size question.............help !

Question. The motor mount bolts on the bottom of the motor (see pic) can anybody tell me what size bolt that this is ?

Request. Dose anybody have source for bolt sizes on these bikes ? I have a 80’ GS750E, and it would be so much easer (and cheaper !) to rebuild this bike if I had a listing of bolt sizes (I did not take this bike apart…”MOST” of the parts were in boxes) I have ordered some bolt from the dealer, and then find that there were wrong ?
    MountBolt.jpg

According to the fiche, it should be an 8mm x 16mm bolt, but that sounds a little on the short side.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Most of the hardware sizes are encoded in the OEM part numbers.

For example, looking at Parts Outlaw, on the CRANKCASE fiche for your '80 750E, you will see that the part number for item #23 is 01500-1060A. Look at the second half of that number, you will see that it is an M10 x 60 bolt.

Half of the 'trick' is to find what fiche the blasted part is on, but then the part number will tell you the size.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Aha. I believe Steve has pointed you in the right direction. I think I was looking at a mounting bolt for the bracket on the FRAME fiche.
        '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
          According to the fiche, it should be an 8mm x 16mm bolt, but that sounds a little on the short side.
          I was taking that as the larger bolt in the middle.

The two smaller ones on either side of it are M8 x 16, though.

Last edited by Steve; 09-29-2014, 03:42 PM.
          sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I think I was looking at a mounting bolt for the bracket on the FRAME fiche.
            See? I told you that half the battle was finding the right fiche.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

I find that sometimes they are wrong !! On the Cylinder Head Item #9 bolt, part number 01550-06307 so that means it should be a 6x30mm bolt….30mm doesn’t even get it though the head ! I have found that the bolt size is 6x60mm works ?!?!?

Comment

Yep, go back read the very first word of my response in post #3.

"MOST of the hardware sizes ..."

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

look up partzilla. They call out what the bolt sizes are. A lot better than bikebandit as far as OE part numbers and descriptions.

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS850 View Post
                    look up partzilla. They call out what the bolt sizes are. A lot better than bikebandit as far as OE part numbers and descriptions.
                    Time for a wake-up call?

EVERYBODY except the BANDIT uses OE part numbers.

And, ... the BANDIT is the second-most-expensive vendor out there, so they are not a good choice for OEM parts, but they do have decent deals on other stuff at times.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Sorry Steve, I didn't know that. I did order from partzilla and they didn't have stuff in stock so it took them three days to ship stuff out. I have ordered from bikebandit and they had it in stock last time I remembered. What other places are better? Also look up a 4012941 Sh775 r/r and it's $70 on bike bandit. So I don't think they're the most expensive place for ALL items. I've compared their prices before on stuff, sometimes they're higher, sometimes not. By the time I figured shipping they were usually just a hair cheaper for what I bought.

Also I mentioned partzilla because they actually call out bolt sizes and lengths. No guessing needed.
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-02-2014, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Sorry Steve, I didn't know that. I did order from partzilla and they didn't have stuff in stock so it took them three days to ship stuff out.
                        Virtually NONE of the online vendors will stock all the stuff we want for our GSes, they ALL have to order from a Suzuki warehouse. Somehow, Bike BANDIT seems to shorten that time by a couple days, but we generally plan on two weeks from order placement to seeing a package on the doorstep.

What other places are better?
                        Have you seen BassCliff's MegaWelcome Page? Many vendors are listed, commentaries offered on some of them.

About the cheapest one is G&S Suzuki, but many of us have gotten the shaft from them, and I don't mean driveshaft, so we choose not to shop there any more.

I think the next-best (as far as price, but WAY better on service) vendor is Parts Outlaw. They have some silly pricing gimmics, like a $2.49 minimum price. Anything that might cost 89 cents somewhere else will cost you $2.49 at Parts Outlaw. My last order included a BIG bunch of small stuff that was under that $2.49 minimum. I compared prices to G&S and called Parts Outlaw. I told them that I was wanting to place an order, but many of the items I wanted simply cost too much. I told him that I had prices from another vendor, but that I did not care for the service at that vendor. He asked to see my list. I sent him my comparison. He called me back in about an hour, saying he would match G&S's prices, would Ii like to place the order now? "Yes, think you very much."

Also I mentioned partzilla because they actually call out bolt sizes and lengths. No guessing needed.
                        As I mentioned earlier, Bike BANDIT is the only one that does NOT use Suzuki part numbers, so any of the others will give you the same information.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Just a further word on Parts Outlaw...

They will match prices, but make sure you PHONE them. I can only imagine they must be running a busy shop, as the response time to email is very delayed.
                          '83 GS650G

Comment

Just a further word on Parts Outlaw...

They will match prices, but make sure you PHONE them. I can only imagine they must be running a busy shop, as the response time to email is very delayed.
                            Very true, that's what I did. I don't remember who it was that I talked to, or what his position was, but was VERY helpful.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                            X